Hard Drive Install hangs at boot

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Hard Drive Install hangs at boot

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Nahte 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Nahte

Hi, I am a regional tech whose goal is to bring open source applications to rural school systems in Northeast Florida where money is very tight. I have little linux knowledge (heavy Microsoft and a bit of Cisco background), but am learning more and more. (Currently I’m working on using the captive portal in Zeroshell and radius authentication to help schools secure their wireless access – the setup we’ve developed with a couple of schools has worked really well!).

Zeroshell works great from the CD, but I’ve had some trouble with installing to a hard drive.

I followed the hard drive installation instructions here:
    http://digilander.libero.it/smasherdevourer/schede/linux/Zeroshell%20su%20HD-EN.pdf

I think I’ve followed all of these instructions correctly as well as followed some tips in other posts in the forums (I’ve read most hard drive install post I can find), but now the computer hangs with the following displayed:

Booting ‘Zeroshell – Net Services *IDE/SATA/USB VERSION *’

Boot (hd0,0)
    Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
    kernal /vmlinuz ramdisk_size=131072 quiet
    [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x2a00, size=0x1dfbc]

And the keyboard is locked up at this point.

I get the same result when installing to an 40GB IDE drive, a 80GB SATA drive, and a 1GB flash drive.

I don’t know if it makes a difference, but when I FDISK, I get a message that says that the drive has 80billion (exaggeration) cylinders which is more than 1024, but it might not be a big deal, etc…

I used Ubuntu to download the compact flash image install and it md5 checks just fine.

the PC I’m working with to install on is a Dell Optiplex 320.

Any help anyone can give me with this hard drive install would be so very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time!

Ethan

Nahte

Update:

I put the IDE drive in a different computer and Zeroshell booted up beautifully!

So, this tells me that perhaps I am having SATA/IDE driver issues with the original test machine?

I remember seeing a post about this, so I will try working in that direction, however, if anyone would like to post tips on how to proceed with determining and installing the correct drivers, please feel free to do so.

If I get it working, I will post the results.

Thanks!

Ethan

Nahte

Some research shows that a lot of people have problems installing Linux on the Optiplex 320, the problem being the GRUB bootloader.

My HD installs on an IDE HD and a SATA HD work great on another computer.

Is there a way to replace GRUB with LILO? If someone can supply step by steps similar to the steps for installing to the hard drive written up by Cristian Colombini, that would be great!

Thanks in advance! With my limited Linux knowledge, I wouldn’t have gotten this far without all of the great posts in this forum.

Thanks!
    Ethan

yum

Hi!

Can you change BIOS setting ATA mode from “AHCI” to “IDE” (or similar option)?

Nahte

@yum wrote:

Hi!

Can you change BIOS setting ATA mode from “AHCI” to “IDE” (or similar option)?

Thanks for responding, Yum. Unfortunately the Dell BIOS is very Spartan and doesn’t have options for configuring ATA settings.

Thanks!

Ethan

jt

I couldn’t get the SATA drive to finish booting on my machine. I fixed it by attaching it to the second SATA connection, which allowed it to boot as if it was IDE. That works great.

Nahte

@jt wrote:

I couldn’t get the SATA drive to finish booting on my machine. I fixed it by attaching it to the second SATA connection, which allowed it to boot as if it was IDE. That works great.

Thanks for the tip, jt! Unfortunately, I tried all four SATA ports and get the same result. In fact I get the same result booting from an IDE drive and from a flash drive, which all three work on another computer. From what I understand reading several Linux forums, the conflict in this case is with the Optiplex 320 controller and the GRUB bootloader. My next step is to install LILO and see if that works. I just haven’t had a chance to work on it yet.

By the way, for the benefit of anyone searching through these posts… Zeroshell works great when installed on an old Toshiba Magnia SG20. I installed it on the existing 2.5″ hard drive and the appliance has a built in 8 port switch and a PCMCIA slot. I’m able to put an IP on both the onboard NIC and the 8 port switch. You can probably find these on eBay for $50 or less.

Nahte

I’ve really struggled trying to replace GRUB with LILO and I’ve noticed that a couple of posts claim to have been successful in doing so.

I would be grateful if someone would post step by step instructions on how to do this. Basically I’ve gotten as far as using wget to download lilo-22.8 and extracting it.

Any help in this direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Ethan

djmeer

try this

http://www.netadmintools.com/art402.html

Here’s the thing with Dell motherboards that support sata + pata drives. Zeroshell will have issues loading up from the CD boot loader with the default unattended install.

To my understanding it’s a motherboard chipset issue on the Dells since it’s the only ones I’ve ever come across with this problem.

The easiest way to resolve this since I don’t really see how zeroshell can take advantage of the super fast i/o of the pata/sata drives is to just go into the BIOS and under advanced options for the hard drive controller look for the options which are different on many models but go as follows:
    PATA
    SATA
    PATA + SATA
    IDE Compatibility
    Legacy Compatibility

Choose the IDE one or the legacy one. Then reboot and zeroshell will install as per usual.

lennart

I have almost got LILO working in ZeroShell. My approach is in this thread:http://www.zeroshell.net/eng/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1477

Since i didn’t gwt it to work 100% I have submitted a featurerequest for LILO support here : http://www.zeroshell.net/eng/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4412#4412

Hope this was helpfull.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.