GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA router with Zeroshell

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell GPRS/EDGE/UMTS/HSDPA router with Zeroshell

This topic contains 29 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  imported_fulvio 10 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

imported_fulvio
    Participant

I am investigating about the possibility to make Zeroshell to act as a GPRS, EDGE, UMTS and HSDPA router. In this way will be possible to connect the LAN/WLAN to the Internet by using 3G cellular operators instead of ADSL lines.

Let’s me know your opinions about this feature and about the USB/PCMCIA hardware to support. If you would like to have this feature implemented you could send to Zeroshell a small donation with which I will buy some of USB/PCMCIA devices to start to experiment 3G connections.

Regards
    Fulvio

SonnabendIT

Since a few weeks i use zeroshell as a UMTS/WLAN Router. I use a linksys UMTS Router connected to eth0 and a D-Link AP connected to eth1.

It works fine.

If you start to experiment with UMTS you only should use the USB devices. They are quicker and this devices have less problems if you compare it with the PCMCIA devices.

imported_fulvio
    Participant

Since a few weeks i use zeroshell as a UMTS/WLAN Router. I use a linksys UMTS Router connected to eth0 and a D-Link AP connected to eth1.

It works fine.

Yes, I know that in your case works fine, but you need of two box: the UMTS router and the Zeroshell router. If Zeroshell will directly support USB 3G modem you can eliminate the additional UMTS router.
    In near future Zeroshell will also have Asterisk with which it will able to act as a VoIP PBX. In this way will be possible to attach traditional analog PSTN phone to a Zeroshell box with a FXS card and use the mobile phone operators.

Regards
    Fulvio

raven3433

@fulvio wrote:

… GPRS, EDGE, UMTS and HSDPA router. In this way will be possible to connect the LAN/WLAN to the Internet by using 3G cellular operators instead of ADSL lines. …
    Fulvio

Hi Fulvio,
    I am using T-Mobile (Austria) UMTS Modem (http://shop.t-mobile.at/2116510010/1_1_3_5/cc83240d58473ff40713ce1dbd1e8fda/10011/index.html&intTab=1) and would REALLY appreciate being able to use it on a ZEROSHELL Box at home as this is my only internet connection and I have to share it with my wife.

Greetings from Austria

RaVEn

billturnbull

I’m very interested in this…

I am find it hard getting a decent router to work…

and i love zeroshell to bits!

Thanks,
    Bill

Stas

Hello
    I’m very interested in this…
    And that is why my first question is: why ZeroShell do not recognize any USB devices?
    I try the lsusb command and this is a result:
    Unknown line at line 1809
    Duplicate HUT Usage Spec at line 2650
    And the second question is how can I make a PPPoE connection using a
    COM port modem?

imported_fulvio
    Participant

Sorry, but I can’t integrate 3G mobile connectivity because I have not this type of hardware available. I already spend much of my time to develop Zeroshell and I do not want to spend much of my money too.
    It is not possible to have PPPoE on serial devices.

Regards
    Fulvio

ristosu

I’m succesfully using Zeroshell 1.0.b9 with Huawei E169 USB modem. Basically I needed to add the following startup script:
    —-
    # Startup Script

# Mount usbfs.
    mount -t usbfs usbfs /proc/bus/usb

# Run huaweiAktBbo, if necessary.
    ENDPOINTS=`grep Driver=none /proc/bus/usb/devices | wc -l`
    if [ “$ENDPOINTS” == “1” ]
    then
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/DB/lib /DB/bin/huaweiAktBbo
    fi

# Load usbserial module.
    modprobe usbserial vendor=0x12d1 product=0x1001

# Start pppd.
    route del default
    /DB/bin/gprs.ppp

# Set up NAT.
    iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.0.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0 -j MASQUERADE
    —-
    a program, huaweiAktBbo, to activate the tty endpoints in the modem, and a pppd script:
    —-
    /usr/sbin/pppd /udev/ttyUSB0 460800 -crtscts user ppp noauth noipdefault usepeerdns defaultroute debug connect ‘/usr/local/sbin/chat -v -t 10 “” “AT+CGDCONT=1,”IP”,”internet.saunalahti”” “OK” “ATD*99#” “CONNECT”‘ disconnect ‘/usr/local/sbin/chat -v -t 10 ABORT “NO CARRIER” “” “pp+++ppc” “OK” “ATH” “OK”‘
    —-
    Risto

imported_fulvio
    Participant

Interesting. You should use the release 1.0.beta10 that cames with newer Kernel in which the serial module is able to sustain the 7.2Mbit/s that is possible to have if you are connect to a HSDPA Mobile Network.

Regards
    Fulvio

raven3433

@ristosu wrote:

I’m succesfully using Zeroshell 1.0.b9 with Huawei E169 USB modem. …
    Risto

Very interesting!!!

But a few questions:

– Do you know if this also works with other HUAWEI USB modems (e.g. E270)?

– Where can I get the huaweiaktbbo program?

– Is your pppd script a single line script and where to put it on my zeroshell?

BTW I will try this as soon as my questions are answered.

Greetz RaVEn

imported_fulvio
    Participant

I have not a E270 but I know that it has the same USB Vendor and Product number of the Huawei E220 that works. Therefore I think the Huawei E270 works too.

Regards
    Fulvio

mmiller

It sounds like some of the 3G cards or 3G USB adapter drivers are built into the supplied ZeroShell Linux Kernel. I’m not at home so I’ve not looked yet. Does ZeroShell come with WVDial installed? Fulvio could you build a package that could be added on like Samba and DansGuardian? I think it would make is easier for people to configure 3G mobile data devices. These devices use a extended AT command set just like all modern mobile phones. In the United States because the mobile carriers ship phones with custom ( restricted ) firmware and device settings. You can’t always use your mobile phone for Internet access via USB. You can use use Bluetooth DUND. You may have to pay extra to have that turned on. I’m thinking of getting a 3G data card (MiniPCI Express Card) for use with the ALIX 6b2 as a portable hotspot using Zeroshell or OpenWRT.

I guess that leads me to this question. Fulvio how receptive are you to kernel driver request?

Thanks again Fulvio for ZeroShell.

imported_fulvio
    Participant

The next release will include the support for the 3G connections by using either USB Mobile Modem or cellular phone with USB cable. You will be able to configure the APN and other parameters by using the web interface.
    I can include external kernel modules for these devices only if I have the hardware to test.

Regards
    Fulvio

raven3433

@fulvio wrote:

The next release will include the support for the 3G connections by using either USB Mobile Modem or cellular phone with USB cable….

You are my hero – Thanks fulvio

BTW: any idea when the next release will be available ??

Greetz from Austria

RaVEn

Fulvio,

I’m looking for a LAN 2 LAN solution that will let me connect our company branch networks to our head office via 3G as a failover or replacement for copper lines. Over here in South Africa, cable theft is a big problem and our data lines to our branch offices are generally unreliable. If you manage to implement this it could be very useful to a lot of businesses here.

In looking for a solution this problem, I came across an open source project at https://forge.betavine.net/projects/vodafonemobilec/

Who are developing Vodafone Mobile Connect Software for Linux. Among the supported devices is the Huawei E220 which is a common modem with our 3G providers. The code is written in Python – perhaps it could be incorprated into Zeroshell.

I came across this via the Wikipedia page on the E220 yesterday which might also lead you to some relevent info on this matter.

If I manage to sort a solution myself I’ll post it here but if you can provide this functionality natively in Zeroshell I will definately owe you a beer.

Cheers
    Jim

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.