General questions

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell General questions

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  jakev383 9 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

jakev383

Hey everyone – I have a couple questions.
    In transparent bridge mode, can you still have a 3rd NIC that has an IP assigned to it for management purposes?
    How much space does the install actually take on a CF card? I have a stack of older ones, and am wondering if I can utilize some for this or if some just need to go to the trash.
    In transparent bridge mode, I understand you can control QoS. Can you still control firewalling (blocking ports)?

Thanks!

ppalias

Yes. Even the bridge itself can have an IP address for management.
    The latest version needs a 1GB CF. You could do it with less if you first decompress the image on a hard disk and then copy the contents of the disk to the CF. Then you could also resize the partitions.
    Yes you can still use firewall in bridging mode.

jakev383

Cool – thanks for the reply.
    I’d asked because I have a stack of 512 CFs laying here (remnants of the days before you could get a 4G card for $18….) that I’ve been holding onto in the hopes they will have a use someday, besides emergency card for my camera.

And the bridge having an IP is interesting – I was not aware of this. Now I can use the VIA board I have sitting here!

Thanks!

jakev383

Here’s another question – since you can add a management IP to the bridge, can you add a second one with a public IP for OpenVPN?

ppalias

Sounds like not appropriate. If you want to use OpenVPN you’ll have to use routing mode, rather than bridging mode.

jakev383

Thanks for the reply.
    I figured this was the case.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.