Feature Request: VMware ESXi Support

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Feature Request: VMware ESXi Support

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  scegg 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

scegg
    Participant

Since there is some 3rd party package to support VMware ESXi (http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2073803), please consider to add a new package in Package Manager make it easier for an end user to install VMware Tools or compatible alternative solution.

Thanks.

gordonf

…there’s a template available now with v9.9.0 Tools pre-installed. The 3.2.0 kernel and later have the needed kernel modules.

I’ve noticed that donations seem to encourage new features. Fulvio’s still only one developer though, and he’s been adding support for Hyper-V and Xen as of late.

scegg
    Participant

@gordonf wrote:

…there’s a template available now with v9.9.0 Tools pre-installed. The 3.2.0 kernel and later have the needed kernel modules.

I’ve noticed that donations seem to encourage new features. Fulvio’s still only one developer though, and he’s been adding support for Hyper-V and Xen as of late.

I wonder whether the VM tools will be kept after a kernel upgrading. BTW, I’m a subscribers of ZeroShell.

gordonf

I hadn’t realized I did this when I spun up my last ZS VM, but I installed a new kernel (3.18.11) on the last template I built that had a stock kernel (3.14.31). The VMware Tools hack-installation held without difficulty.

I guess this is because this Tools installation is user mode code only, and no kernel modules, which are compiled-in by Fulvio at least since ZS 3.2.0. I only use the Tools for monitoring and automated shutdown, so this makes sense.

scegg
    Participant

@gordonf wrote:

I hadn’t realized I did this when I spun up my last ZS VM, but I installed a new kernel (3.18.11) on the last template I built that had a stock kernel (3.14.31). The VMware Tools hack-installation held without difficulty.

I guess this is because this Tools installation is user mode code only, and no kernel modules, which are compiled-in by Fulvio at least since ZS 3.2.0. I only use the Tools for monitoring and automated shutdown, so this makes sense.

Yup, but I prefer the driver for VMXNET3 NIC as well. That maybe hurt.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.