Failover IP addresses should be defined by gateway

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Failover IP addresses should be defined by gateway

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  olivier1010 10 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

olivier1010

Monitor IPs in the balancer system should be defined by Gateway, not as a global parameter like actually.

It is not easy to find a safe combination of monitors IPs using the same group of IPs for all wan links.

An easy and safe setup is to use the default DNS server or the gateway of the provider for each link.

Olivier.

ppalias

I have assigned the www server of my both providers and the http://www.yahoo.com
    I think that this is enought to ping-check and is mostly used when you have a gateway, cause in the case of PPPoE-3G it is easy to realize when the link has gone down.

olivier1010

Ok.

Perhaps a small explanation should be added in the GUI :

“A link will be considered faultly if all the targets defined here are down seen from this link.

If only one target is down seen from this link, it will stay active or spare.”

ppalias

I think this is the most reasonable as you wouldn’t want your link to go be considered down, if for some reason the address you are trying to ping is unreachable. That is why ZS has space for 3 addresses to ping check.

olivier1010

yes you are right.

it is done like this in the bonding driver as well if i remeber correctly, where we can define a set of targets for all links, not separately for each link.

Inside Pfsense i think we can define separate targets for each gateway, and choose as well tcp port checks instead of icmp.
    Medium priced commercial Multiwan routers does allow this too.

Olivier

ppalias

These are nice features that Fulvio could take into consideration for future releases. Separate targets for link checking as well as tcp port check.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.