Embedded Bug?

Home Page Forums Network Management Embedded Devices Embedded Bug?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  ptaylor 11 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

ptaylor

Hi… I’ve been working to get ZeroShell installed on my net4801 and ran across what seems to be a bug…

If I do not have the console connected, it seems to never complete a boot. It appears to stay stuck on the grub screen. Also, if I have the console set to 38400, I see characters going down the screen, as if in some sort of pattern, and this continues until I change to 19200. Once I do, the grub screen pops up and within a few seconds, it gets to the point that the 38400 redirect is about to happen.

So, is it possible to boot ZeroShell on a net4801 w/o a console attached?

Edited to add: This is with beta 4.

Paul

ptaylor

I ended up moving my net4801 to a new permanent location, now that I have the database from my VM installation running on it…

I intentionally left the console cable off.. I waited about 10-15 minutes or so, but it was still not up. So, I attached the console cable and set it to 19200. After a few seconds, it moved along to loading Zeroshell, then told me to switch to 38400…

So, it seems to require a terminal attached to boot up…???

imported_fulvio
    Participant

Starting from the 1.0.beta3, serial console redirection had been disabled during the boot in the standard compactflash image. Maybe this is a problem for net4801. Could you try with the WRAP compactflash version? In that version I have not disabled the redirection. In any case you should configure (from the BIOS) the RS232 of the Soekris to work at 38400 instead 19200.

ptaylor

I set my net4801 to 38400 in the BIOS, but with the console disconnected, it still hangs on boot. After about 5 minutes, I attached the console cable, at which time I got the boot menu.

GRUB loads well before the redirection notice (if that is the point you are talking about), so I don’t think it is a console redirection issue.

I haven’t tried the WRAP version yet… I’ll try to get it loaded on a CF card and try it out.

ptaylor

FYI – I’ve loaded the WRAP version onto a CF card, but just haven’t taken the time to take down my network and try it yet. Fortunately, I have a good UPS on my net4801 and haven’t had outages long enough to drop it yet. 🙂

ptaylor

Finally got around to trying out the WRAP image today.. (Ok, so I’m a month or so slower than I anticipated)

Anyhow, the WRAP version boots up just fine without the console connection on my Soekris net4801.

Paul

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.