Dual WAN with WAN selectable by client

Home Page Forums Network Management Networking Dual WAN with WAN selectable by client

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  mojo 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

mojo

Hi. I have a somewhat detailed question! 🙂

I am trying to set up a single router that will have dual WAN connections, and where each client machine can choose which WAN connection it uses.

At the moment I have two pfSense routers, and to select which one a client uses I just change the gateway of the client to the IP address of whichever router I want to use. I want to reduce this down to one router.

It looks like it should be possible in ZeroShell by setting up a failover type dual WAN config and then creating a rule that forces a range of IP addresses to use one WAN, and the rest to use the other WAN.

E.g.

192.168.1.002-192.168.1.150 -> WAN1
    192.168.1.151-192.168.1.254 -> WAN2

Is that correct?

Would it be possible to set up a rule where the router has dual LAN interfaces, and the rule routes traffic based on which LAN interface it comes in on? Would it be possible to do that, and have only one physical LAN interface with two IP addresses assigned to it? That way a client only needs to change gateway IP address to change WAN, does not have to break internal LAN connections (RDP, IMAP etc).

imported_fulvio
    Participant

A good solution could be to add 2 manual Balancing Rules in the Net Balancer. One of this rule with the source address the subnet 192.168.1.0/25 and the first gateway. The other rule with source IP the subnet 192.168.1.128/25 and the second gateway. So all the clients with IP in the range 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.127 will use the first gateway and the others with IP in the range 192.168.1.128-192.168.1.254 the second one.

Regards
    Fulvio

mojo

Thanks, that sounds like a good plan!

One issue with pfSense in this type of configuration is that the NAT and traffic shaping stuff only works on one WAN interface. Is that the case with ZeroShell as well, or can it do it on both?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.