DHCP Reservation not working as expected

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell DHCP Reservation not working as expected

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ermanno Bonifazi
    Participant

I have set the DHCP with certain static IP entries. My issue is that when a device with a static IP is off, Zeroshell DCHP assign that IP to other devices, creating conflict when I turn on the device linked to a static (reserved) assigned IP. Is my fault or there is a problem with Zeroshell Dhcp reservation?

cdpearce
    Participant

The way to do this is to create a range of addresses in the sub-net being managed by DHCP that will be assigned to the dynamically assigned devices. Leave enough IP addresses outside this range to assign to the devices that will get static IP addresses. Assign from that “left over” IP address pool into the static IP address table (along with the MAC address of the device that will get the static IP address).

If the device performs DHCP it will be assigned the address from the table corresponding to the MAC address. If it does not perform DHCP you would have to assign the address manually through configuration on the device. But, it’s best to enter it into the table anyway to keep track of what IP addresses have been assigned. Maybe add an annotation like [device assigned] into the description to remind you that to change the assignment you can’t just change the table, you have to reconfigure the device.

Ermanno Bonifazi
    Participant

Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.