DHCP multi subnet mac filter list

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell DHCP multi subnet mac filter list

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  bbozo 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

bbozo

I need to use ZS capability to have multi subnet DHCP.

On LAN interface
    A 192.168.0.x
    B 192.168.1.x
    C 192.168.2.x
    D 192.168.3.x

A subnet is sector one and has 100 clients
    B subent is another sector and has 200 clients
    ect.

I need to make MAC address lists which will tell ZS from which pool/subnet to give clients IP address.
    VLAN implemetation is not possible.

Thanks.

ppalias

If you don’t use VLANs how are you going to differentiate the traffic? You could try with static leases on dhcp per client but it’s rather stressing to write down 300 entries…

bbozo

ppalias you rule
    🙂

I know what you are saying, but VLANs are no go.
    This will be temporary solution until necessary hardware is bought (2-4months).
    Since network is in……..can’t describe the mess i found.
    This seemed like most practical solution and of course It would be much easier to make MAC list and not MAC and IP.
    If you have any ideas please share it
    thanks for swift response.

ppalias

I’m afraid I don’t have any other than the static dhcp leases. In every project that I have implemented that has multiple subnets sharing the same DHCP server there is always some kind of VLAN to distinguish the traffic.

JC

are the 4 ips on different physical LAN cards on different physical LANs? or do the 4 cards go on one physical LAN?

“On LAN interface
    A 192.168.0.x
    B 192.168.1.x
    C 192.168.2.x
    D 192.168.3.x “

if they are all separate LAN’s, i know some major disasters that try to call themselves LANs, then simple DHCP will work just setup per LAN card, but if it is one physical LAN coming into the zs box you are pretty much limited to what ppalias said.
    to gather MAC ids you can use the DHCP leases section in ZS or get an app called Magic Packet and it will probe and return current MAC/IP, and as the name suggests after you know the machines it can be used to wake a sleeping pc.

bbozo

Yes it’s one NIC.
    I do have all mac’s of all machines.
    I don’t want to manually worry about which PC has what ip only in which subnet it is supposed to be.

Yes, my plan is to implement VLAN’s but……..this is a pretty big network that wasn’t taken care of for a few years. You can imagine the shape it is in.
    Most of the switches aren’t L2.

So I am trying to make some order while they buy all the necessities.

Thanks for replaying.

ppalias

If you only have one network interface then all networks will mix without VLANs. I suggest you’d better organize the network first before doing all this DHCP stuff. Also all switches are L2, what you probably meant is that your switches don’t support management.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.