Development vmware image

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Development vmware image

This topic contains 30 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  schoopy 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

schoopy

Dear Fulvio,

I just spent some time creating a vmware image with all development tar files included. For this purpose I had to change the partition format from iso9660 to ext2 so that read/write access will be possible. Several changes in the booting scripts were also necessary.
    Changes were also made to obtain a larger image (2GB) so that partition could just be later dd with new version as I had to completely reinstall everything when upgrading from beta11 to beta12. Providing the iso9660 partition had been bigger I could just have dd the new one. Note that the boot partition is not an issue as there is still sufficient space

It actually went fine although I have not tried yet any compiling.
    My question is as follow:
    Do you commit having this image available to others so that we could all work on upgrading packages such as ipsec and others.

I am aiming at nweer version of ipsec in order to have l2tp with Vista working because up to now I am stuck with phase 2 problem:
    ERROR: unknown notify message, no phase2 handle found.

Many thanks and keep me inform.

schoopy

I am very sorry I mispelled your name!!!

aseques

I’d like to see the changes in the scripts you did more than the image itself, it’s interesting to have this information at han, altought I personally don’t use vmware.
    I was on that route myself, but end up on other stuff more urgent 🙁

schoopy

In fact the problem is in two locations:
    1. /etc/fstab in rootfs which has /cdrom with iso9660 format and read only -> ext2 rw
    2. linuxrc in initrd.gz in isolinux (boot partition), the script goes over the /proc/ide/hd? files and check whether it is a CDROM or not. if so the partition is mounted under /cdrom. Of course it will not see hda2 therefore I forced it by adding a couple bash lines after Fulvio’s. It is crappy but does the job in order to load the hda2 in ext2 format.

imported_fulvio
    Participant

Could you send me the url where the image you prepared is available from?
    In that case I can put a link to the download page.

Regards
    Fulvio

imported_fulvio
    Participant

Could you send me the url where the image you prepared is available from?
    In that case I can put a link to the download page.

Regards
    Fulvio

schoopy

FYI

I corrected a few missing header files and tried compiling ipsec-tools 0.7.2.
    Everything went fine and works great.

Correcting racoon.conf from a previous post, I can now connect several times without rebooting ipsec from a windows VISTA.

schoopy

Dear All,

I finally built a vmware image dedicated to development. Unfortunately the image size is about 1.5 GB. it can be found at http://130.223.122.55/~tschuepb/ZeroShell/.

The image is composed of 4 partitions in ext2 format. The last one is sufficient to hold gcc 4.3.2 and contains an ISO directory where makeiso.sh will build a new Z iso image for standard Zeroshell.
    Due to compatibility I did not automount the last one in /opt, therefore the user is asked to do it manually by first creating /opt (mkdir /opt) and then mount /dev/hda4 to it (mount /dev/hda4 /opt).

Finally note that it iso image created with makiso.sh will not copy man, doc and info, so that it will not oversize current Zeroshell beta 12 second partition.
    My idea is to make it possible to dd the image to the second partition as a way to upgrade. I will now try to do that with scripts from ssh shell, hence no more pain to upgrade ALIX boards!

Change from original beta 12:

/etc/fstab is modified to account ext2 format in rw , no longer iso9660 in ro. Modification brought to rootfs

linuxrc boot script is modified to mount /dev/hda2. Modification brought to initrd.gz

libtool has been upgraded.

automake has been upgraded.

autoconf has been upgraded.

ipsec-tools has been upgraded to 0.9.8.

cyrus-sasl has been upgraded to 2.1.23 using new ipsec-tools.

schoopy

Dear All,

I finally built a vmware image dedicated to development. Unfortunately the image size is about 1.5 GB. it can be found at http://130.223.122.55/~tschuepb/ZeroShell/.

The image is composed of 4 partitions in ext2 format. The last one is sufficient to hold gcc 4.3.2 and contains an ISO directory where makeiso.sh will build a new Z iso image for standard Zeroshell.
    Due to compatibility I did not automount the last one in /opt, therefore the user is asked to do it manually by first creating /opt (mkdir /opt) and then mount /dev/hda4 to it (mount /dev/hda4 /opt).

Finally note that it iso image created with makiso.sh will not copy man, doc and info, so that it will not oversize current Zeroshell beta 12 second partition.
    My idea is to make it possible to dd the image to the second partition as a way to upgrade. I will now try to do that with scripts from ssh shell, hence no more pain to upgrade ALIX boards!

Change from original beta 12:

/etc/fstab is modified to account ext2 format in rw , no longer iso9660 in ro. Modification brought to rootfs.
      linuxrc boot script is modified to mount /dev/hda2. Modification brought to initrd.gz
      libtool has been upgraded.
      automake has been upgraded.
      autoconf has been upgraded.
      ipsec-tools has been upgraded to 0.7.2.
      openssl has been upgraded to 0.9.8.
      cyrus-sasl has been upgraded to 2.1.23 using new openssl.

imported_fulvio
    Participant

Could you write a piece of documentation about the use of this VMware image and the makeiso.sh script so I can link it in the documentation page of Zeroshell?

Regards
    Fulvio

schoopy

Dear Fulvio,

I will as soon as I manage to do a remote upgrade of /dev/hda2 from a given new CDROM.iso.
    Currently I am able to do it from console without problem, just need to try that from a remote ssh. This way upgrade from ALIX will not require any more opening of the box, unscrewing of the board to access the CF card.
    Note that from a serial connection it is already manageable using a USB key holding the ISO image.

Now since we are at it, any reason other than ease that make you choose Zisofs rather than squashfs.
    Furthermore what do you thing of setting the size of the second partition to big enough value such as 200 MB so that we will not have any issue for upgrade?

Best regards,

Thierry

ran

@schoopy wrote:

Dear All,

For convert vmware image Zeroshell-dev-beta12-vmware.tar.bz2 to hdd image:

bunzip2 Zeroshell-dev-beta12-vmware.tar.bz2
    tar -xvf Zeroshell-dev-beta12-vmware.tar
    cd Zeroshell-dev-beta12-vmware
    qemu-img convert -O raw Zeroshell4GB-cl1-000009-cl1.vmdk Zeroshell4GB-cl1-000009-cl1.hdd

For mount image partitions:

losetup /dev/loop0 Zeroshell4GB-cl1-000009-cl1.hdd
    kpartx -a -v /dev/loop0
    mkdir /mnt/p1
    mkdir /mnt/p2
    mkdir /mnt/p3
    mkdir /mnt/p4
    mount /dev/mapper/loop0p1 /mnt/p1
    mount /dev/mapper/loop0p2 /mnt/p2
    mount /dev/mapper/loop0p3 /mnt/p3
    mount /dev/mapper/loop0p4 /mnt/p4

Unmount:

unmount /mnt/p1
    unmount /mnt/p2
    unmount /mnt/p3
    unmount /mnt/p4
    kpartx -d /dev/loop0
    losetup -d /dev/loop0

imported_fulvio
    Participant

I have just added a link to this useful thread on the documentation page.

Thanks
    Fulvio

schoopy

Dear all,

For those who downloaded the image, you will notice some issue with radius server not finding the libltdl.so.3. This is a mistake I did when replacing libtool.
    In order to correct it you will need to add libltdl.so.3.1.0 in /usr/lib as well as a link to it called libltdl.so.3,

Also, despite several attempts to run L2TP/IPSEC, I have it running with VISTA as long as the client is ran from an identical subnet, or at least close to. Attempts from the internet which should not be behind NAT do fail.
    I have no clue about this and it gets me crazy so if anyone has an idea, please tell me! Seems as if VISTA is doing NAT traversal in transport mode where it is not suppose to!

Regards,

Schoopy

schoopy

Dear all,

For ease I put libltdl_fix.tar.gz file to correct my mistake. Simply do

cd /
    tar xvfz libltdl_fix.tar.gz .

and files should be extracted at correct place (/usr/lib).

Fulvio, I noticed that links within /usr/lib to libraries located in /lib/ are made with path ../../lib/xxx, this is not working since /usr/ is itself linked to /cdrom/usr. Therefore libraries are not found because they look in /cdrom/lib instead of /lib.
    (/cdrom/usr/lib/../../lib -> /cdrom/lib != /lib). I already started relinking with path /lib/xxx instead after I noticed error when compiling some softwares such as freeradius.
    Another thing is how do you work with libdiet and when did you do it, there are issues with libtool and dynamic libraries. At some places I had to force -ldl-2.8 in order for the compiling to work. Furthermore, when I did compile freeradius 2.xxx everything went ok provided –enable-system-libtool was set, but still modules do not seem to be able to load. We must have an issue with libdl. Any idea? Thanks

Regards

Schoopy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.