Date of a new release

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Date of a new release

This topic contains 39 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  cybergreen 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author

ppalias

I have a 1:1 weight ratio between my wan links and there is a problem with ZS forum that doesn’t support cookies. I never had a problem with https sites however.

atheling

@ppalias wrote:

I have a 1:1 weight ratio between my wan links and there is a problem with ZS forum that doesn’t support cookies. I never had a problem with https sites however.

Not sure about how most BB software packages are built but I do know that I have programmed a couple of sites that checks the IP address of the web browser against that in my session information. The idea was to keep from having someone spoof the user’s login by replaying the cookie. (I had to relax this because places like AOL have multiple proxy gateways and the end user’s request may come from a group of IP addresses. However all the providers I saw hitting my web sites had their proxies in the same /24 subnet.)

If you are logging into a site programmed like that and each page load comes from a different IP address then it would kick you out.

ppalias

I take it back… I also have problems with https. Looks like there is work needed to be done to overcome this problem in “Load Balancing and Failover” mode.
    One good approach is to hash the url and send the packets from the same interface for the same addresses. Or to bind the destination IP address with a specific interface.
    Temporarily I created 2 static rules, one for 0.0.0.0/128.0.0.0 and one for 128.0.0.0/128.0.0.0 . That should load balance somehow the packets correctly till we find out a solution.

atheling

@ppalias wrote:

I take it back… I also have problems with https. Looks like there is work needed to be done to overcome this problem in “Load Balancing and Failover” mode.
    One good approach is to hash the url and send the packets from the same interface for the same addresses. Or to bind the destination IP address with a specific interface.
    Temporarily I created 2 static rules, one for 0.0.0.0/128.0.0.0 and one for 128.0.0.0/128.0.0.0 . That should load balance somehow the packets correctly till we find out a solution.

I’m not sure how one could implement hashing in iptables….

I’ve been doing some searches on Linux routing and load balancing since my last post. Seems like the “Linux Virtual Server” people have been addressing this issue and maybe the kernel mods needed are available for the kernel Zeroshell needs.

One reading starting point is http://kb.linuxvirtualserver.org/wiki/IPVS

I think you only really want to use this level 4 logic on HTTP and HTTPS protocols. SSH, MX, FTP, etc. all are good with successive TCP sessions being on different routes. It is only the “stateless” multiple TCP session type protocols like HTTP/S that have an issue.

And for those people who are trying to speed up downloads there are benefits to having different TCP sessions take different interfaces. So you probably don’t want to break that.

By the way, the routing module does have a “route cache” that attempts to channel all traffic to one interface once it has decided on the first packet which interface to use. But looking at it in action it seems to have a very short life. A second or two maybe. (I haven’t found any description of the exact life time of cache entries nor have I found a way to modify its behavior.) For HTTP/S I think you would want to cache the entries for several minutes.

ppalias

@atheling wrote:

I’m not sure how one could implement hashing in iptables….

I’ve been doing some searches on Linux routing and load balancing since my last post. Seems like the “Linux Virtual Server” people have been addressing this issue and maybe the kernel mods needed are available for the kernel Zeroshell needs.

One reading starting point is http://kb.linuxvirtualserver.org/wiki/IPVS

I read the LVS wiki and even though LVS is doing the opposite from what we are doing, looks like “Connection Scheduling Algorithms” could provide helpful for our case.
    @atheling wrote:

I think you only really want to use this level 4 logic on HTTP and HTTPS protocols. SSH, MX, FTP, etc. all are good with successive TCP sessions being on different routes. It is only the “stateless” multiple TCP session type protocols like HTTP/S that have an issue.

Yup you are right, I had some issues with OpenVPN with the static routes, so I created 2 pairs of Netbalancer rules for the destination ports 80 and 443 for the 0.0.0.0/1 and destination 128.0.0.0/1.
    @atheling wrote:

And for those people who are trying to speed up downloads there are benefits to having different TCP sessions take different interfaces. So you probably don’t want to break that.

This is a con, however it is not breaking the functionality, just like it happens with http/s. As far as I know this is not an expected behaviour, when you have 2 or more links you can take advantage of the full bandwidth only when downloading from multiple sources. Otherwise you will have to use bonding.
    @atheling wrote:

By the way, the routing module does have a “route cache” that attempts to channel all traffic to one interface once it has decided on the first packet which interface to use. But looking at it in action it seems to have a very short life. A second or two maybe. (I haven’t found any description of the exact life time of cache entries nor have I found a way to modify its behavior.) For HTTP/S I think you would want to cache the entries for several minutes.

That would be a very nice workaround. I will try to see if we can find a way to raise this value to a more convenient number.

atheling

@ppalias wrote:

…snip…
    @atheling wrote:

That would be a very nice workaround. I will try to see if we can find a way to raise this value to a more convenient number.

Looking at http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.kernel.obscure.html it seems that we might be able to change the route cache times by writing into /proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/gc_elasticity

On my Zeroshell box the value was 8 even though the LARTC page said the default was 300. You might want to change that to 300 and see if your HTTP/S sites work okay. We will have to go back and verify that the route cache is flushed when we detect an interface going down. I think it is but it has been a while since I looked at that area.

Edit: The /proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/gc_* values don’t seem to work as I’d hoped… Nor as the descriptions I’ve been able to find on the web indicate. At least I don’t see the results change much when I look at the routing cache with the “ip route list cache” command. More research needed.

atheling

Since Jose Menendez mentions this thread in his excellent “Using ZeroShell as a Net Balancer, QoS server and Captive Portal” located at http://www.zeroshell.net/eng/documentation/ I thought I should update with the latest patch and some thoughts on the current issues.

First the patch. This is my “patch 7” that I sent to Fulvio on 19Apr2010. It changes the way pings routed so that the kernel IP routing cache is not flushed every few seconds. This means that there is now a little “stickiness” for multiple connections to a particular IP address. As before, this patch is to be applied to the Beta12 version of ZeroShell’s scripts.

Index: failoverd
    ===================================================================
    RCS file: /users/tfitch/cvsroot/Zeroshell/Zeroshell/kerbynet.cgi/scripts/failoverd,v
    retrieving revision 1.1.1.1
    diff -u -6 -w -r1.1.1.1 failoverd
    --- failoverd 26 Nov 2009 22:13:35 -0000 1.1.1.1
    +++ failoverd 19 Apr 2010 23:13:28 -0000
    @@ -7,40 +7,39 @@
    [ -z "$TC" ] && TC=1
    TO=$((Timeout*TC))
    echo Timeout $TO
    for R in `seq 1 $ProbesDOWN` ; do
    for I in ${SUCCESS[$GW]} $IPS ; do
    IPP=${IP[$I]}
    - ip ru add tos 0x04 to ${IP[$I]} ta 1$GW
    - if ping -Q 0x04 -c 1 -w $TO ${IP[$I]} ; then
    - ip ru del tos 0x04 2>/dev/null
    + iptables -t mangle --flush NB_FO_PRE
    + iptables -t mangle -A NB_FO_PRE -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -d $IPP -j MARK --set-mark 1$GW
    + if ping -c 1 -w $TO ${IP[$I]} ; then
    SUCCESS[$GW]=$I
    return 0
    fi
    done
    done
    return 1
    }
    function pingUP {
    GW=$1
    echo PROBEUP
    for I in ${SUCCESS[$GW]} $IPS ; do
    IPP=${IP[$I]}
    - ip ru add tos 0x04 to ${IP[$I]} ta 1$GW
    R=0
    ERROR=""
    + iptables -t mangle --flush NB_FO_PRE
    + iptables -t mangle -A NB_FO_PRE -p icmp --icmp-type echo-request -d $IPP -j MARK --set-mark 1$GW
    while [ $R -lt $ProbesUP -a -z "$ERROR" ] ; do
    if ! ping -Q 0x04 -c 1 -w $Timeout ${IP[$I]} ; then
    ERROR=yes
    else
    R=$((R+1))
    fi

done
    if [ -z "$ERROR" ] ; then
    SUCCESS[$GW]=$I
    return 0
    fi
    done
    return 1
    Index: fw_initrules
    RCS file: /users/tfitch/cvsroot/Zeroshell/Zeroshell/kerbynet.cgi/scripts/fw_initrules,v
    diff -u -6 -w -r1.1.1.1 fw_initrules
    --- fw_initrules 26 Nov 2009 22:13:35 -0000 1.1.1.1
    +++ fw_initrules 1 Dec 2009 03:51:40 -0000
    @@ -2,13 +2,13 @@
    . /etc/kerbynet.conf
    CHAIN="$1"
    [ -z "$CHAIN" ] && exit 1
    CONFIG="$REGISTER/system/net/FW/"
    if [ "$CHAIN" == QoS ] ; then
    TABLE="-t mangle"
    - CH=FORWARD
    + CH=QoS
    else
    if [ "$CHAIN" == NetBalancer ] ; then
    TABLE="-t mangle"
    CH=NetBalancer
    else
    TABLE=""
    @@ -23,12 +23,16 @@
    iptables -A INPUT -j SYS_INPUT
    iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j SYS_HTTPS
    iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 443 -j SYS_HTTPS
    iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j SYS_SSH
    fi
    [ "$CHAIN" == OUTPUT ] && iptables -A OUTPUT -j SYS_OUTPUT
    + # If we are doing the QoS chain, thenlear any marks left over from
    + # Netbalancing/failover routing. The QoS chain is applied after
    + # routing so there is no conflict.
    + [ "$CHAIN" == "QoS" ] && iptables $TABLE -A $CH -j MARK --set-mark 0x0
    if [ -d $CONFIG/Chains/$CHAIN/Rules ] ; then
    cd $CONFIG/Chains/$CHAIN/Rules
    RULES=`ls`
    for RULE in $RULES ; do
    ENABLED="`cat $RULE/Enabled 2>/dev/null`"
    if [ "$ENABLED" == yes ] ; then
    Index: fw_makerule
    RCS file: /users/tfitch/cvsroot/Zeroshell/Zeroshell/kerbynet.cgi/scripts/fw_makerule,v
    diff -u -6 -w -r1.1.1.1 fw_makerule
    --- fw_makerule 26 Nov 2009 22:13:35 -0000 1.1.1.1
    +++ fw_makerule 1 Dec 2009 03:32:42 -0000
    @@ -4,13 +4,13 @@
    RULE="$2"
    OPT="$3"
    [ -z "$CHAIN" -a -z "$RULE" ] && exit 1
    CONFIG="$REGISTER/system/net/FW"
    if [ "$CHAIN" = QoS ] ; then
    TABLE="-t mangle"
    - CH=FORWARD
    + CH=QoS
    else
    if [ "$CHAIN" = NetBalancer ] ; then
    TABLE="-t mangle"
    CH=NetBalancer
    else
    TABLE=""
    @@ -411,13 +411,13 @@
    iptables $TABLE $IPT $TGT
    if [ "$CHAIN" == QoS ] ; then
    TGTDSCP=`cat $REGISTER/system/net/QoS/Class/$TARGET/DSCP 2>/dev/null`
    if [ -n "$TGTDSCP" ] ; then
    iptables $TABLE $IPT -j DSCP --set-dscp $TGTDSCP
    fi
    - iptables -t mangle -A FORWARD -m mark ! --mark 0 -j ACCEPT
    + iptables -t mangle -A QoS -m mark ! --mark 0 -j ACCEPT
    fi
    if [ "$CHAIN" == NetBalancer ] ; then
    [ "$TARGET" != Auto ] && iptables -t mangle -A NetBalancer -m mark ! --mark 0 -j ACCEPT
    fi
    fi
    fi
    Index: fw_start
    RCS file: /users/tfitch/cvsroot/Zeroshell/Zeroshell/kerbynet.cgi/scripts/fw_start,v
    diff -u -6 -w -r1.1.1.1 fw_start
    --- fw_start 26 Nov 2009 22:13:35 -0000 1.1.1.1
    +++ fw_start 19 Apr 2010 22:51:13 -0000
    @@ -10,12 +10,21 @@
    iptables -t mangle -F NetBalancer 2>/dev/null
    iptables -t mangle -X NetBalancer 2>/dev/null
    iptables -t mangle -N NetBalancer 2>/dev/null
    iptables -t mangle -F OpenVPN 2>/dev/null
    iptables -t mangle -X OpenVPN 2>/dev/null
    iptables -t mangle -N OpenVPN 2>/dev/null
    +iptables -t mangle -F QoS 2>/dev/null
    +iptables -t mangle -X QoS 2>/dev/null
    +iptables -t mangle -N QoS 2>/dev/null
    +iptables -t mangle -F NB_CT_PRE 2>/dev/null
    +iptables -t mangle -X NB_CT_PRE 2>/dev/null
    +iptables -t mangle -N NB_CT_PRE 2>/dev/null
    +iptables -t mangle -F NB_FO_PRE 2>/dev/null
    +iptables -t mangle -X NB_FO_PRE 2>/dev/null
    +iptables -t mangle -N NB_FO_PRE 2>/dev/null
    [ "$CPGW" == yes ] && iptables -N CapPort
    $SCRIPTS/fw_https_chain
    $SCRIPTS/fw_ssh_chain
    $SCRIPTS/fw_sys_chain
    CHAINS=`ls`
    for C in $CHAINS ; do
    Index: fw_viewchain
    RCS file: /users/tfitch/cvsroot/Zeroshell/Zeroshell/kerbynet.cgi/scripts/fw_viewchain,v
    diff -u -6 -w -r1.1.1.1 fw_viewchain
    --- fw_viewchain 26 Nov 2009 22:13:35 -0000 1.1.1.1
    +++ fw_viewchain 30 Nov 2009 19:30:43 -0000
    @@ -1,7 +1,7 @@
    #!/bin/sh
    . /etc/kerbynet.conf
    CHAIN="$1"
    [ -z "$CHAIN" ] && exit 1
    -[ "$CHAIN" == QoS ] && CHAIN="FORWARD -t mangle"
    +[ "$CHAIN" == QoS ] && CHAIN="QoS -t mangle"
    [ "$CHAIN" == NetBalancer ] && CHAIN="NetBalancer -t mangle"
    iptables -n -v -L $CHAIN
    Index: nb_fw
    RCS file: /users/tfitch/cvsroot/Zeroshell/Zeroshell/kerbynet.cgi/scripts/nb_fw,v
    diff -u -6 -w -r1.1.1.1 nb_fw
    --- nb_fw 26 Nov 2009 22:13:35 -0000 1.1.1.1
    +++ nb_fw 19 Apr 2010 22:54:18 -0000
    @@ -1,24 +1,35 @@
    #!/bin/sh
    . /etc/kerbynet.conf
    iptables -t mangle -D PREROUTING -j CONNMARK --restore-mark 2>/dev/null
    -iptables -t mangle -D PREROUTING -j NetBalancer 2>/dev/null
    -iptables -t mangle -D INPUT -j NetBalancer 2>/dev/null
    -iptables -t mangle -D OUTPUT -j NetBalancer 2>/dev/null
    +iptables -t mangle -D PREROUTING -m state --state NEW -j NB_CT_PRE 2>/dev/null
    +iptables -t mangle -D PREROUTING -m state --state NEW -j NetBalancer 2>/dev/null
    +iptables -t mangle -D INPUT -m state --state NEW -j NB_CT_POST 2>/dev/null
    +iptables -t mangle -D OUTPUT -j CONNMARK --restore-mark 2>/dev/null
    +iptables -t mangle -D OUTPUT -m state --state NEW -j NB_FO_PRE 2>/dev/null
    +iptables -t mangle -D OUTPUT -m state --state NEW -j NetBalancer 2>/dev/null
    iptables -t mangle -D OUTPUT -j OpenVPN 2>/dev/null
    iptables -t mangle -D POSTROUTING -m state --state NEW -j NB_CT_POST 2>/dev/null
    iptables -t mangle -D POSTROUTING -j NB_STAT 2>/dev/null
    +# Need QoS to be done in mangle POSTROUTING. Note that if NetBalance
    +# is enabled then we will insert those rules/chains first. So any
    +# routing marks will be handled before we blow them away with QoS
    +# marks.
    +iptables -t mangle -D POSTROUTING -j QoS 2>/dev/null
    +iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING 1 -j QoS 2>/dev/null
    if [ "`cat $REGISTER/system/net/nb/Enabled 2>/dev/null`" = yes ] ; then
    iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING 1 -j CONNMARK --restore-mark
    - iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING 2 -j NetBalancer
    + iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING 2 -m state --state NEW -j NB_CT_PRE 2>/dev/null
    + iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING 3 -m state --state NEW -j NetBalancer
    + iptables -t mangle -I INPUT 1 -m state --state NEW -j NB_CT_POST 2>/dev/null
    + iptables -t mangle -I OUTPUT 1 -j CONNMARK --restore-mark
    + iptables -t mangle -I OUTPUT 2 -m state --state NEW -j NB_FO_PRE
    + iptables -t mangle -I OUTPUT 3 -m state --state NEW -j NetBalancer
    + iptables -t mangle -I OUTPUT 4 -j OpenVPN
    iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING 1 -m state --state NEW -j NB_CT_POST 2>/dev/null
    iptables -t mangle -I POSTROUTING 2 -j NB_STAT 2>/dev/null
    - iptables -t mangle -I INPUT 1 -j NetBalancer
    - iptables -t mangle -I OUTPUT 1 -j NetBalancer
    - iptables -t mangle -I OUTPUT 2 -j OpenVPN
    fi
    $SCRIPTS/nb_vpn 2> /dev/null
    $SCRIPTS/nb_setautomarking 2>/dev/null
    -
    -
    -
    +echo 300 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/gc_min_interval
    +echo 360 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/gc_timeout

Index: nb_setautomarking
    RCS file: /users/tfitch/cvsroot/Zeroshell/Zeroshell/kerbynet.cgi/scripts/nb_setautomarking,v
    diff -u -6 -w -r1.1.1.1 nb_setautomarking
    --- nb_setautomarking 26 Nov 2009 22:13:35 -0000 1.1.1.1
    +++ nb_setautomarking 16 Apr 2010 18:43:14 -0000
    @@ -1,29 +1,69 @@
    #!/bin/sh
    . /etc/kerbynet.conf
    CONFIG=$REGISTER/system/net/nb/Gateways
    cd $CONFIG
    function set_gwmark {
    xGW="$1"
    - INTERFACE=`cat $xGW/Interface 2>/dev/null`
    + INTF=`cat $xGW/Interface 2>/dev/null`
    IP=`cat $xGW/IP 2>/dev/null`
    + # Set up the pre-routing chain for new connections from this Gateway. We want
    + # to mark all traffic originating from this gateway to be routed back out to the
    + #same gateway.
    +
    + # If we have found the device, then mark all traffic coming in on it to use
    + # it for outbound responses
    + if [ "$INTF" != "" ] ; then
    + if ! iptables -t mangle -L NB_CT_PRE -n | grep -q -w `echo 1$xGW |awk '{printf ("0x%x",$0)}'` ; then
    + [ "`cat $xGW/Enabled 2>/dev/null`" = yes ] && iptables -t mangle -I NB_CT_PRE 1 -i $INTF -j MARK --set-mark 1$xGW
    + else
    + [ "`cat $xGW/Enabled 2>/dev/null`" != yes ] && iptables -t mangle -D NB_CT_PRE -i $INTF -j MARK --set-mark 1$xGW
    + fi
    + else
    + # If this Gateway has no interface device defined for it, see if we can get
    + # one based on the next hop IP address. There might be more than one gateway
    + # on the interface, so we need to qualify the match based on the packet's
    + # destination address which should be the interface's IP address.
    + if [ "$INTF" == "" ] ; then
    + if [ "$IP" != "" ] ; then
    + INTF=`ip route list table 1$xGW | grep ^default | grep -o "dev w*" | awk 'BEGIN {FS=" "}{print $2}'`
    + LOCAL_IP=`ip route list table 1$xGW | grep $INTF | grep -o "src .*" | awk 'BEGIN {FS=" "}{print $2}'`
    + if [ "$INTF" != "" ] ; then
    + if ! iptables -t mangle -L NB_CT_PRE -n | grep -q -w `echo 1$xGW |awk '{printf ("0x%x",$0)}'` ; then
    + [ "`cat $xGW/Enabled 2>/dev/null`" = yes ] && iptables -t mangle -I NB_CT_PRE 1 -i $INTF -d $LOCAL_IP -j MARK --set-mark 1$xGW
    + else
    + [ "`cat $xGW/Enabled 2>/dev/null`" != yes ] && iptables -t mangle -D NB_CT_PRE -i $INTF -d $LOCAL_IP -j MARK --set-mark 1$xGW
    + fi
    + fi
    + fi
    + fi
    + fi
    +
    + # In the post routing phase, we want to get the the routing realm used for new
    + # connections and save it in the connection. First setp here is to get the mark
    + # and put it on the packet. Our caller will emit the code to save the marks to
    + # the connection.
    if ! iptables -t mangle -L NB_CT_POST -n | grep -q -w `echo 1$xGW |awk '{printf ("0x%x",$0)}'` ; then
    [ "`cat $xGW/Enabled 2>/dev/null`" = yes ] && iptables -t mangle -I NB_CT_POST 1 -m realm --realm 1$xGW -j MARK --set-mark 1$xGW
    else
    [ "`cat $xGW/Enabled 2>/dev/null`" != yes ] && iptables -t mangle -D NB_CT_POST -m realm --realm 1$xGW -j MARK --set-mark 1$xGW
    fi
    +
    + # Make the entry in the statistics chain so we can track how much traffic went
    + # over each gateway
    if ! iptables -t mangle -L NB_STAT -n | grep -q -w `echo 1$xGW |awk '{printf ("0x%x",$0)}'` ; then
    [ "`cat $xGW/Enabled 2>/dev/null`" = yes ] && iptables -t mangle -I NB_STAT 1 -m mark --mark 1$xGW
    else
    [ "`cat $xGW/Enabled 2>/dev/null`" != yes ] && iptables -t mangle -D NB_STAT -m mark --mark 1$xGW
    fi
    }
    GW="$1"
    if [ -z "$GW" ] ; then
    GW=`ls -d ?? 2>/dev/null`
    iptables -t mangle -F NB_CT_POST
    + iptables -t mangle -F NB_CT_PRE
    iptables -t mangle -F NB_STAT
    for G in $GW ; do
    set_gwmark $G
    done
    iptables -t mangle -D NB_CT_POST -j CONNMARK --save-mark 2> /dev/null
    iptables -t mangle -A NB_CT_POST -j CONNMARK --save-mark

Next the current know issues. Current TCP connections are tracked using the connection tracking logic in iptables. So all traffic for a connection will use the correct WAN gateway. However subsequent TCP connections may use an different WAN gateway. Some web sites, including all HTTPS sites, require that a series of TCP connections all come from the same IP address. Those sites will have problems with Zeroshell’s NetBalance.

To force a succession of TCP connections to use the same gateway we rely on the IP route cache. The first packet of a new connection triggers a decision on what gateway and next hop to use. That information is saved in the IP route cache. When an new connection to the same IP address is encountered the kernel routing logic will look in the route cache for the gateway and next hop to use. So the selection of gateway based on IP address becomes “sticky”. All new connections will use the same gateway.

This is good and bad. Good because it means HTTPS sites and the HTTP sites that check IP addresses against session will work. It is bad because it means that load balancing is not effective.

This stickiness is maintained until the entry is removed from the route cache. That happens when the cache becomes full and older entries are removed to make room for new ones. It also happens periodically when all routes are flushed. It can also happen when a failover occurs.

So, barring failures, the stickiness is controlled by the route cache parameters that can be viewed or written to in the /proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/ directory. The best explanation I have found for the parameters and what they do are located at:

http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9901.3/1121.html
    and
    http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2002q4/005296.html

Basically the default settings include a value of 600 in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/magic_interval that will flush all entries out of the route cache every 10 minutes.

I have not yet determined a set of values for these settings that work well for me. And based on your traffic patterns you will need different values that I do. I think the goal would be to have an entry age out of the route cache after a reasonable amount of time has passed since its last use. Maybe 10 or 20 minutes. Since all entries are removed at the magic_interval, it would seem that magic_interval should be large, probably around a day (86400 seconds). Unfortunately there does not appear to be a time of day that can be specified, so we may end up flushing the cache in the middle of a users session.

Next, we desire some way to age out older entries that have not been used in a while. The kernel will only do this if the cache is getting full. And the default size cache is quite large, many thousands of entries. Based on the number of different IP addresses accessed per seconds, which will vary for every installation, a cache size should be picked where the cache will become full in the 10 or 20 minutes desired to remove old entries. It is here that I think it comes down to trial and error by each ZeroShell administrator to determine what works for their installation.

If anyone has better insight into the mechanics of the Linux route cache and how to tune it for NetBalancing, please let me know.

pando

Can you make a patch width install.sh script ? I’m not a linux guru, but I want to try if it works NetBalancer and QOS at the same time.
    Tnks.

atheling

@pando wrote:

Can you make a patch width install.sh script ? I’m not a linux guru, but I want to try if it works NetBalancer and QOS at the same time.
    Tnks.

Making an install script that does things right will be a bit of work. I just checked with Fulvio and beta 13 which will include my patches should be out very soon.

jul9000

will the new release include SMTP Server?

arfon
    Participant

Atheling, either I didn’t install your patched correct or they aren’t working.

I saved your patch (the second sticky one) as one big file named patch01 in /Database/custom .

I added:

modprobe nf_nat_sip
    for file in /Database/custom/*
    do
    cp ${file} /root/kerbynet.cgi/scripts/
    done

…to the pre-boot scripts and enabled them… SSH (into the network) is still real laggy and I still can’t post to this board without turning off load-balancing…

How EXACTLY do you install your patches and verify that they have loaded correctly?

atheling

@arfon wrote:

Atheling, either I didn’t install your patched correct or they aren’t working
    … snip …
    How EXACTLY do you install your patches and verify that they have loaded correctly?

The same way that I got them working in the first place, by using the shell prompt and carefully examining the output of the following command:

iptables -t mangle -vn -L

There should be a new release with my fixes “real soon now”. I hope that issues like you and others have had on installing that patch will be a thing of the past.

atheling

@jul9000 wrote:

Other than my fixes for net balance and QoS, I don’t have any information about what will be in the new release.

arfon
    Participant

No offense but why would you want a mail server built into a router? That sounds very insecure.

There should be a new release with my fixes “real soon now”.

Waiting with antici-pation! [Rocky Horror reference]

ppalias

It’s in the to-do list, so some would be happy with this integration. Of course that would stress and make a router box more vulnerable, apart from stability issues. However ZS could be used as a standalone server for DNS, DHCP, captive portal and mail, so I guess adding the SMTP functionality would be good, as long as it doesn’t take too much time from the most vital parts of ZS.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.