Custom default gateway at the static DHCP?

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Custom default gateway at the static DHCP?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Selanec 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Selanec

How can I add a custom default gateway at the static DHCP?
    I got several internet connections and I want to give different users a different Default Gateway and DNS servers.
    I’m using VM and I tried starting two machines, but it seems they don’t work together.

imported_fulvio
    Participant

You could create several DHCP subnets with different gateway and dns.

Selanec

Nope… I can only create one DHCP subnet per NIC and it can only have one DG and DNS. One 10.1.1.x at ETH00 and one 192.168.1.x at VPN99, both with only one DG and DNS.

Selanec

I tried making another DHCP subnet with the same NIC changing the range to 10.1.x.x with 255.255.0.0 and i got another subnet, but an error message appeared that … WARNING: DHCP Server is not active on this subnet because there is not a network interface with an IP on the subnet.

imported_fulvio
    Participant

You should add another IP address to the same Interface. Of course, the IP has to belong to second subnet.

Regards
    Fulvio

Selanec

I just need custom DG and DNS for the static DHCP leases.
    I think it can be added under the MAC and the IP at the ADD pop-up window.
    No additional IPs, subnets or DHCP servers.
    Adding another IP with different subnet is useless since the clients are not in that other range… I added another IP with the same subnet… wont work.

imported_fulvio
    Participant

To create 2 dhcp subnets on the same interface you need to have 2 IP assigned to the interface. Please, add another IP to the interface ETH00 from [Setup][Network].

Selanec

I think I’m doing everything as you are saying.
    But you can’t have 2 DHCP servers on one NIC.
    Watch these screenshots…
    http://bitless.mk/moe
    Can you add custom DG and DNS for every static lease?

imported_fulvio
    Participant

You should use not overlapped subnets such as 10.1.1.0/255.255.255.0 and 10.1.2.0/255.255.255.0. In the cases you showed me with screenshot one subnet is a subset of the other. This is not correct.

Regards
    Fulvio

Selanec

The main thing is…
    I got a wireless network with a range of 10.1.1.x and Netmask 255.255.255.0 with 20 users and 3 cable connections.
    I need to set different static Default Gateways and DNS servers for every user separately under that range (10.1.1.x).
    I want to set for example 7 users to use the first cable connection,
    next 7 to use the second, and rest to use the third.
    The routers of all the cable connections are in 10.1.1.x range.
    IP with range like 10.1.2.x would be invisible for the clients.

Selanec

I found this Tiny DHCP server…
    A windows DHCP server… its just 120KB and does it all.
    But its trial.
    Can you do something about this?

imported_fulvio
    Participant

At this point I haven’t a solution to your problem using the current release of Zeroshell. If you can wait the next release, it will include network load balancing and failover management. In addition to automatic connection balancing among more than one WAN gateway, it will be possible to force some type of connections (for example having a particular source addresses) to use a fixed router.

Regards
    Fulvio

Selanec

Well… the load balancing is a good idea. But my network is across the half city and the other 2 routers are not at my home. So I can’t wire them to the ZeroShell box to load balance all 3 of them. I am currently using a windows based DHCP server that does the job, but I’d like to see this work in one box under ZeroShell. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.