Connection from internet to 3G modem

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Connection from internet to 3G modem

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  anttu 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

anttu

Hello. I would need to be able to connect to a ZeroShell with a 3G modem connected from internet. The mobile networks available do not support fixed IP address and, even worse, they hide or block the ports from internet to the modem.

Would there be a way to have ZeroShell to actively maintain the connection somehow so that it would be available from the net. A VPN trick or something?

Smokeshow

Set up dyndns. It will give you a domainname to use that zeroshell will update everytime there is an ip change.

anttu

Unfortunately that is not quite enough. The operator blocks the ports from incoming connections from the net, so the terminal must somehow initiate the connection.

gcams

I have achieved this using a VPN. You need to setup a VPN between the zeroshell box and a host on the internet. You can then connect back down the VPN to the zeroshell box via the host. The only problem is if the VPN drops out, and doesn’t recover, you cannot get back into the box.

The other option would be to setup a persistent SSH tunnel from the zeroshell box to a host, and use port forwarding over SSH to achieve the same result. I guess this is a similar concept to the VPN, but I used the VPN option.

Hope this helps!

schoopy

Hi,

Do not know if that would help but openvpn using port 443 should normally work since I doubt they block it. You could then activate persistent connections.
    But you will no longer get access to the https web configuration from the internet., though through the vpn it will work.

Regards,

Schoopy

Anonymous

DELETED

ppalias

Depends on the wifi chipset’s sensitivity and the obstacles between them. You have to try to find out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.