Connecting to access point from Soekris board

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Connecting to access point from Soekris board

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  skumaran 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

skumaran

Hello,

I am trying to connect from a wireless client (a Atheros based wireless card on Soekris net5501 board configured in STA mode) to a wireless access point (another Atheros based wireless card on Soekris net5501 board configured in Access Point, AP mode). But I am not successful in doing the connection. These are the steps I followed.

1. I configured both the wireless points with static IP addresses with the same subnet mask(255.255.255.0). For example the client node is 192.168.1.11 and the access point node is 192.168.1.10

2. I connected the client board to a Windows PC running Hyperterminal using a null modem cable to configure the settings

3. On the zero shell prompt of the client board I used the following commands to configure the wireless node(ETH04)
    ifconfig ETH04 up
    iwconfig ETH04 essid “Access Point SSID” ap “AP Hardware Address”

4. I tried to ping the Access point node using ping 192.168.1.10.

But I always get that the host is not reachable. Can anyone please help me out with this issue.

Thanks
    Sri Hari Kumaran

ppalias

What is the output of

iwconfig ETH04

skumaran

Please find below the output of the command

iwconfig ETH04

ETH04     IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"TIG1"  Nickname:""
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.447 GHz Access Point: 00:02:6F:51:3C:DC
    Bit Rate:0 kb/s Tx-Power:15 dBm Sensitivity=1/1
    Retry:off RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Encryption key:off
    Power Management:off
    Link Quality=0/70 Signal level=-93 dBm Noise level=-93 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:5262 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

Here “TIG1” is the SSID of the wireless Access point I am trying to connect to and “00:02:6F:51:3C:DC” is the hardware address of the Access point device. Please let me know if I have wrongly configured something here.

Thanks,
    Sri Hari Kumaran

skumaran

Hello,

Can anyone please help me out with this problem.

Thanks.

ppalias

It seems that the client is not connected on the access point. You can see that from the

Link Quality=0/70

which should have a value other than 0. Check the wireless settings, make sure there is no mac-filter, WEP,WPA,WPA2 etc…

skumaran

Hi,

Yes the client is not getting connected to the Access point even when I configure them properly. I have not configured any kind of encryption like WAP,WEP or WPA on either board. I have configured them as “Plaintext”. I am totally clueless as to what the problem is. I hope someone can help me to solve this.

Thanks.

ppalias

What have you configured as “plaintext”?

skumaran

Using the Wifi-manager available in Zeroshell I have configured the Security parameter of the SSID as “Plaintext”. It actually gives 4 options to choose for Access authentication and wireless traffic encryption namely

1. Plaintext
    2. WPA-PSK
    3. WPA-EAP
    4. WEP128

Thanks,
    Sri Hari

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.