Combining Zywall35 with Net4801/Zeroshell

Home Page Forums Network Management Networking Combining Zywall35 with Net4801/Zeroshell

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  astra4 9 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

astra4

Hello all,

I have a small LAN with a Zywall35 Router/Firewall appliance.

This Zywall35 device supports Radius authentication and I want to give this a try. Looking for a Radius server solution I discovered Zeroshell.

Have a Soekris Net4801 (with Mini-PCI Wlan Module Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG), which I can use for Zeroshell.

Will need to buy bigger Compact Flash card tomorrow, I wonder if I should take a 1 GB CF card (corresponding to the Zeroshell image size) or if an even bigger CF card (2 or 4 GB) will work as well.

But what I actually wanted to ask is, in which segment of my network shall I put the Zeroshell appliance?

I mean, the ZyWall35 appliance divides my network into the segments WAN, LAN and DMZ (for a wireless Access Point). The latter I don’t have yet, but I was thinking that I might just try the Zeroshell Access Point.

My feeling tells me to put the Zeroshell appliance in the LAN segment, because the Radius server is queried by devices in the LAN. But if it’s a wireless access point as well, it should rather go in the DMZ segment, shouldn’t it?

astra4

Or shall I ditch the ZyWall35 appliance and use Zeroshell for everything, including Routing and Firewall?

ppalias

1GB is enough. ZS is a firewall itself, so it doesn’t really matter where will you place it in your network. You could put it in your LAN and create a separate DMZ for WIFI clients. You can also swap Zywall for ZS and let it do everything. If you have multiple WAN links you should put it in front of everything else so that it can perform the net balancing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.