I searched the Forum, but I can´t find an answer. Is it possible to use an 512MB CF with the actual beta11? The image file is 1GB, but it contains only round about 120MB, so maybe I can use my existing 512MB CF?
Thanks for any helpful hint and sorry for this noob-question! 😳
If i were to shrink the image i would do the following:
1. Mount the partition that has the most extra space under some folder
2. Tar the contents into a tarbal, (remebering the -p option)
3. Unmount the partition
4. fdisk the image and remove the partition
5. create a new partition with a more suitable size
6. create a new filesytem on the new partition
7. mount the new partiton under some folder
8. uncompress the tar backup (remembering the -p option)
You could also try some graphic tool like gparted, it allows you to resize your partitions with no problem.
1.- Backup you data (just in case)
2.- Connect the CF to your computer (using standard card reader should work)
3.- Just tell gparted to resize the partition, after some minutes everything should be done.
I did the opposite. I could only get a 2GB CF. I imaged it as usual, then plugged it into a card reader on one of my SuSE boxes and used the partition tool there to expand the partition. I now have 1.4GB for profile / log storage instead of 400MB.
The same should certainly work in reverse. Use your Linux distro’s partition tools to shrink/grow the partition.