Captive Portal and Traffic Shapper

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Captive Portal and Traffic Shapper

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  J. Ryan 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

J. Ryan

Hi;

I am using ZS as QoS shapper and it works good now I would like to implement ZS as authentication server by Captive Portal to my network. My config looks like this:

I have some questions
    1. can ZS work in Bridge Mode as QoS Traffic Shapper and Captive Portal in same time?
    2. is config with 3 NIC possible and behind router possible?
    3. if computers are connected to ACCESS POINT by wireless router with APC mode (WISP) can it make some problem for Captive Portal?

imported_fulvio
    Participant

1. can ZS work in Bridge Mode as QoS Traffic Shapper and Captive Portal in same time?

Yes, it can. Traffic shaper and Captive Portal modules are indipendents.

2. is config with 3 NIC possible and behind router possible?

Yes, it is possible.

3. if computers are connected to ACCESS POINT by wireless router with APC mode (WISP) can it make some problem for Captive Portal?

Please post me more details. I don’t know what APC mode means.

Regards
    Fulvio

J. Ryan

Access Point Client Mode – for instance – router with 1xWAN, 4xLAN and AP. If it has APC mode. Wireless interface in the router act as WAN interface. In this case MAC addresses of computers conncected via LAN aren’t forwarded.

Best wishes,
    Sz.

imported_fulvio
    Participant

Ok now I have understood.
    The answer is that you can use the captive portal also if the mac addresses of the clients are not forwarded. In this case you need to select the option “Only IP” for the “Client Identity”.

Regards
    Fulvio

J. Ryan

OK but I think hosts will be behind the router so Access Point (and ZS) will see only the IP which is on the WAN (Wireless) interface, ZS will be not able to see IP and MAC addresses of specific hosts on LAN interface. (?)

btw. making traffic shapping with L7 an then limited bandwidth per IP in router isn’t wrong solution?

imported_fulvio
    Participant

The captive portal needs to view the IP address of the clients. If the access points are NAT routers you should disable this features that is wrong.

Shaping the traffic per IP and by using Layer 7 filters is OK.

Regards
    Fulvio

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.