Captive Portal and legal liability

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Captive Portal and legal liability

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  esaym 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

esaym

I have a task to set up a public wifi hot spot. I am scared at the legal implications that would happen if someone accessed something that they should not. Does anyone know how to go about this? Does zero shell offer any kind of logging to log all websites that a user might visit? Or is there a better way to go about it?

I am also looking at http://www.lessnetworks.com/. I like how a person has to create their own account with a valid email address and then tell the front desk clerk to add their newly created name to the access control list. However it doesn’t look like they do any kind of logging either. So I don’t know. I certainly can’t be getting sued though and I would much rather use a full linux solution.

imported_fulvio
    Participant

If you use the captive portal of Zeroshell, the following things will be logged:

– Usernames, IPs and MACs of the connections;
    – The time in which the connections have started;
    – The time in which the connection have terminated;
    – if you enable the connection tracking logging, for every TCP/UDP connection will be send in the logs:
    * the source IP;
    * the source port;
    * the destination IP
    * the destination port;
    * the protocol used (TCP or UDP)
    – if you enable the proxy you can configure it to log the URLs visited

In any case, you need to check the law in the country where you want to create the network to understand what you must and what you can store in the logs.

Regards
    Fulvio

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.