Bridging (Zeroshell 1.0 Beta 9)

Home Page Forums Network Management Networking Bridging (Zeroshell 1.0 Beta 9)

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  falahdab 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

falahdab

Hello.

I am looking for a little help about bridging.
    I am running Zeroshell 1.0 Beta 9 in a VMware Server 1.0.4.
    I have configured Zeroshell with two NIC.
    The first one is connected to vmnet4, the second one to vmnet5.
    I have two other virtual machines (client1 and client2), one on each subnet for testing.

First, I configured the network as follows:

Client1(192.168.1.140) <_______vmnet4_______>(192.168.1.75)__Zeroshell__(192.168.2.75)<_______vmnet5_______>(192.168.2.140)Client2

When the network is configured as above, everything works fine (Client1 can ping Zeroshell, Client 2 can ping Zeroshell, and if the gateway is properly configured on both clients, Client1 can ping Client3 and vice-versa)

After this test, I change the configuration to this:

Client1(192.168.1.140) <_______vmnet4_______>Zeroshell(Bridge:192.168.1.75)<______vmnet5______>Client2(192.168.1.141)

Now, I can still ping Zeroshell from Client1, but I have no link at all with Client2 (of course, the gateway was reconfigured…).

I have nothing else configured (no firewall…).
    I don’t understand what I could possibly do more to make this work, and especially I don’t understand why Client1 and Client2 are not symetrical.

Thank you for any help you could bring and any clue about this problem.

falahdab

falahdab

Hello.

I have been experimenting further…

After several tests (ping, arp table check, etc…) I have found that the bridge which is created is assigned a MAC adress which is the MAC of one of the NICs which are part of the bridge (in general ETH00 in my case)

The subnet which is not connected to this NIC doesn’t work after the creation, or at least, it seems that the ethernet layer (and consequently the IP and upper layers too) doesn’t work properly in both direction thru the bridge.

I haven’t been able to determine if this behavior depends on VMware or not…
    I have tried to set up manually the arp tables on each subnet… Nothing works.

Don’t hesitate to comment.
    Even comments like:

“I’ve set up a bridge between two virtual interfaces bridged (VMware meaning) to 2 physical adapters without problem. I don’t understand why you can’t make it work, it is so simple. You must be stupid.”

as unpleasant as they might sound would be useful to me 🙂

Thanks a lot.
    Falahdab

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.