Bridged roadwarrior setup possible how?

Home Page Forums Network Management Bridges and Routers Bridged roadwarrior setup possible how?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  tialohitc 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

tialohitc

Is it possible to set up a bridged roadwarrior with Zeroshell?

If so, how?

Thank you very much in advance!

atheling

Not sure what you mean by “bridged roadwarrior” but you can set up ZS to be the terminus of a VPN and then set your laptop (or other roadwarrior machine) to VPN to your LAN.

In my setup I’ve configured my laptop’s VPN client so that when I connect the ZS shell box all traffic goes through the VPN. Is this what you mean by “bridged”?

When using the VPN I can surf the web or check email from an open wireless network at a library or restaurant confident of my privacy and security as everything goes encrypted to my ZS router and then from there to the Internet or the servers on my LAN.

The setup of OpenVPN on ZS is quite straight forward. I’ve only done it once since it worked for me the first time… Getting the client setup on my laptop was pretty easy too. If this is what you want and need some assistance I am sure we can help.

tialohitc

Hi atheling,

Thanks for your reply.

I should have explained in more detail:

The same setup you describe I have used numerous times. What I wanted to achieve here is this:

HQ — ZS — BRIDGE / VPN — INTERNET — VPN / BRIDGE — NOTEBOOK

HQ Network: 192.168.0.0/24
    Notebook IP: 192.168.0.x

After establishing the VPN connection the Notebook would be assigned an IP from the HQ’s DCHP server. Like what can be done with a LAN-TO-LAN VPN bridge with two ZSs, just without the second ZS – That’s what I meant by “bridged RoadWarrior”

The “standard Roadwarrior” in ZS uses a routed VPN though where the Notebook would get 192.168.250.x and all traffic to 192.168.0.0./24 would be routed.

Now I’ve run into a case where the notebook should be “transparently mobile”…

Any ideas?

atheling

Okay, you are getting into an area which I have no experience. So take this only as a suggestion.

ZS uses OpenVPN and looking at http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/documentation/miscellaneous/76-ethernet-bridging.html it seems that the bridge setup is on the “server” side of the VPN. That is the ZS side.

It might be that you can just do the server side part of the bridging setup from the tutorials on the ZS site…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.