Bonding with lines of different capacity?

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Bonding with lines of different capacity?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  tim 12 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

tim

First of all: zeroshell works like a charm here 🙂

At this moment I am using bonding with vpn over 2 dsl lines.
    However, I am wondering what would happen if I would add another line to this bond with different capacity.

Since a while we have the option to get cable around here (yes we are located in the middle of nowhere) and we can get up to 10mbps from cable… (adsl is 3mbit max here…)

What would happen if I added a 10mb cable to the bond?
    So in total we would have 2x 3mbit + 1x 10mbit ~= 16 mbps?

or would the 10mbit line be limited to the max capacity of the other line?
    in that case 7 mbit would be unused and it would total to 9mbps? And then I can better just take another dsl line which would be cheaper 🙂

kenadak

I believe you can “Score” the routes so that the Cable line could get a higher score than the 2 DSL lines and it would Fill the Cable line first then fail over to the DSL… theoretically you will get 16Mbps but you’re upstream is so limited this may not be very practical. I find that cable upstream is much less reliable than DSL, so you may see issues if the scoring of the routes is bi-directional more of your upstream would be pushed up a lower speed/less reliable line. good luck.

tim

hmm that upstream problem is also not a very nice side effect indeed……
    the most important thing for me is to boost the upstream a little…
    currently I like the fact that its being spreaded among all the lines (which works very well).

imported_fulvio
    Participant

Suppose you have to transfer a file of 99Mbit on a BOND of 3 VPN (3Mbit/s+3Mbit/s+10Mbit/s). Because the BOND in load balancing mode uses the round-robin scheduling to forward the packets, any VPN will forward 33Mbit of data. This means that this operation takes at least 33Mbit/(3Mbit/s)=11s to complete the file transfer. Hence the bandwidth of the BOND is 99Mbit/11s=9Mbit/s (without considering the overhead) that is the same of a BOND in which the 3 VPNs have the same speed.

hilldweller

apologies for bringing an old thread back to life, i’m not sure i follow the maths here, fulvio.

i have 3 links to a site, 100meg, 54meg and 4meg. would it be worth adding the 4meg to a round robin bond or would it slow the whole thing down?

if it would slow the links, is it possible for me to setup the 4meg link to be a redundant route in case the bond route is down?

thanks

john

imported_fulvio
    Participant

You can configure the bond in fault tolerance mode and specify the primary interface. The other interfaces are only used if the link on the primary one fails.

Fulvio

hilldweller

hi fulvio, thanks for zeroshell by the way. 🙂

i’d like to have a round robin bond on the 100meg and 54meg, and only use the 4meg as a redundant route if the other two fail. is this possible?

imported_fulvio
    Participant

No, it isn’t, because using fault tolerance mode only one interface is active and the others are used only if the primary one fails.

Regards
    Fulvio

hilldweller

ok i see. thanks for taking the time to reply.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.