Bonded ADSL Performance (UK)

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Bonded ADSL Performance (UK)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  StevenJohns 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

StevenJohns

Hi Everyone,

I would like some feedback regarding the performance of bonding ADSL lines in the UK. I currently have 2 ADSLMax Premium lines (8Mbit/s downstream, 800Kbit/s upstream) and I have a server hosted at Telecity which is 1 hop away from the LNS where my connections terminate (we are a small ISP).

I have setup zeroshell at our office to bond both ADSL lines and I am now at the performance testing stage….here are the results.

1. Downloading a 50Mb file with http from our server over each ADSL line gives speeds of 750Kbit/s on each line (tested line 1 then line 2)

2. Downloading the same 50MB file over both lines at the same time gives aprox 500Kbit/s downstream speed on each download, giving a total download capacity of 1MByte/s at any time. This I attribute to BT’s VP at the exchange being only a 10Mbit/s pipe !!! (10Mbit/s pipe = aprox 1MByte/s downstream)

3. Use ZeroShell to bond both lines……and download the same 50MB file…I am now getting downstream speeds of aprox 200Kbit/s

I know that there will be some overhead to using vpn’s bonded, but I wasn’t expecting the downstream rate to be 1/5 of the available bandwidth.

I am going to double/tripple check all settings, but wanted to get some feedback from everyone else to see if you are getting similar results.

Any comments are very welcome.

Cheers

imported_fulvio
    Participant

Check the RX Throughput of the interfaces VPN00 and VPN01 (client site) by clicking on the button [Show Info]. Then compare the VPN00 and VPN01 Throughput with the ones of ethernet interfaces connected to the ADSL routers. I think there are some problems in your configuration and therefore you only use an ADSL line for both the vpn channels.

Fulvio

StevenJohns

Fluvio,

I’ve come to the same conclusion that there must be a config error somewhere. I am now removing the whole config and will start again from scratch…Will post resulta back when tested.

Cheers

StevenJohns

FLuvio,

if I have 2 VPN servers, how do I get them to listen on different Ip’s ???

imported_fulvio
    Participant

Do you have assigned 2 public IPs (IP0 and IP1) to the same ethernet interface of the Zeroshell router in the server side?
    If so, don’t worry if VPN servers listen to both IP, you just have to balance the traffic in the client site:
    1) configure VPN00 with Remote Host IP0;
    2) configure VPN01 with Remote Host IP1;
    3) add a static route for the IP0 to use the ADSL0;
    4) add a static route for the IP0 to use the ADSL1.

At this point, VPN00 should use the ADSL0 and VPN01 the line ADSL01.

In the release 1.0.beta6 the Net Balancer will allow to make routing decision based on the tcp/udp port. In that case you don’t need to use two IP addresses in the server site.

Regards
    Fulvio

StevenJohns

Excellent….when will the next beta be released ??

seany

Hello,

I am experiencing the same problem with the same configuration.

While watching live traffic graphs of each ADSL connection, they hit about 2mbit each giving me a total throughput of 450kb/s or so.

Each connection individually can achieve 650kb/s+ at the same time.

I have disabled compression and encryption on both tunnels.

Any ideas on what can be wrong?

StevenJohns, Did you ever get yours working?

StevenJohns

seany,

No, I never got this working properly. Fluvio recons that the new loadballancer component will make this easier, but he promissed it 4 or 5 betas ago and it’s still not in zeroshell.

We now use multilink ppp as the zeroshell bonding is “flakey” to say the least. if you are looking for a good bonded solution for the UK, then take a look our site, http://www.internetmailservices.co.uk and send me an email to steve [at] internetmailservices.co.uk

Cheers

olivier1010

Your problem could be induced by out of order packets, slowing down the TCP connection.

perhaps you should try with an UDP connection, and see if you get the normal bandwith.

seany

@ StevenJohns: I already have two 12 month ADSL contracts so I cannot change to mlppp 🙁

@ olivier1010: I forgot to mention I already figured UDP connections are faster and am using these.

Anonymous

DELETED

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.