Bandwidth monitoring for each IP Connect to internet

Home Page Forums Network Management Request a new feature Bandwidth monitoring for each IP Connect to internet

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  yce_kelvin 9 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

yce_kelvin

It is possible to view the traffic for each IP to internet?

Upload and download speed. This is important for VPN purpose.. πŸ˜€

yce_kelvin

Mayb something like ipband integration..?

http://ipband.sourceforge.net/

imported_fulvio
    Participant

At the moment a possible solution to have the amount of traffic for each IP is to create an ACCEPT rule in the forward chain of the the firewal with the source IP set to the address you want to monitor. Viewing the FORWARD chain you will be able to look at the outgoing traffic counters. To view the incoming ones, you should create a rule with destination IP set to the address.
    I am going to investigate about what graphical tool to integrate within Zeroshell to monitor the bandwidth.

Regards
    Fulvio

yce_kelvin

Hi fulvio,

Thank you for your answer.

That is great. Then this will possible about something like PFsense graphical statistic.

The current solution you provided is not perfect because it will slow down browsing activity because of the firewall monitoring. I saw another IT support guy who doing the VPN site to site with Ubuntu Server version and he is able to get the information on which IP going out and receive. For eg: He is doing a site to site GAMING – Warcraft 3 and it required around 15K upload and 15K download speed. So, he can estimate that the game software is required 15K up/down speed. So, if the person get 1.5MB up down speed mean the max can support is around 100PC, and for 1.5MB Download / 512K Upload speed line only can support 34 PC connection max.

So, that’s y i say the integration on statistic for IP bandwidth monitoring to internet is important.

Anyway, hope fulvio can success on it. I always support. After going to webmin, IPCOP and pfsense i think zeroshell is the most great linux software for networking.

Good luck !

Kelvin

izilic

Hi!!

I am pretty new to ZS, but already making great things with it so i am very happy.

In other linux servers/routers I have I use MRTG as monitoring tool for almost everything from bandwidth to cpu or hard drives tempetature.

I think it could be nice to have MRTG in ZS.

What do you think?

Best Regards,

IAZS

imported_fulvio
    Participant

I am planning to export all significant values such as QoS bandwidth, interface traffic, CPU and memory usage by using SNMP. It will be possible to collect these values and view them with tools such as MRTG.

Regards
    Fulvio

mmiller

Fulvio,

I think it would be nice to have SNMP added into ZeroShell as well. Will this be a add-on package or be apart of the default release?

Could you also include a Netflow/sFlow probe?
    nProbe, NDSAD ( another probe) or even ipt-netflow (iptables module)?

http://www.ntop.org/nProbe.html <— may not be a good example.
    http://freshmeat.net/projects/ndsad/
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ipt-netflow/ <— Might be the best choice due to it being a iptables module.

Thanks.

imported_fulvio
    Participant

Thanks for the links. I will read these documents before starting to implement SNMP monitoring interface. In any case, this feature will be included in Zeroshell and not an external package.

Regards
    Fulvio

yce_kelvin

fulvio,

Thanks so much πŸ˜€

We always support u πŸ˜€

yce_kelvin

Fulvio,

I think you can integrade bwm-ng to it..

Thanks
    Kelvin

AtroposX

You could use bandwidthd to graph all ips. You basically specify subnet(s), and it will use promiscuous mode to graph bandwidth up and down, as well as some basic protocols i.e, HTTP, VPN, P2P. It works very well. I had about 52 subnets specified on one box just running Debian, on a mirrored inet port, and it runs very smooth. This will only graph though.

To see in realtime, ntop would be nice, or perhaps some sort of netflow. Zeroshell already has iptraf readily to use.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.