Adding Dummy DNS Entries

Home Page Forums Network Management Networking Adding Dummy DNS Entries

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  p17blo 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

p17blo

I want to be able to add Dummy DNS entries. For example, I receive notification that URL hsbc.sniff.com is being used to phish account details. I want to add this URL into my DNS entry and enter a record pointing the IP address to an internal webserver with a page stating that the site has been reported as phishing site.

I don’t want to use any other kind of URL-Filtering or OPENDNS servers.

I really just want a list of IRLs I can add to as I have new reported sites to deal with daily.

Paul

Is this possible? I mean add static DNS entry in zeroshell

Thanks!
    Al’

atheling

I did not immediately see how to do this. My lack of understanding of a simple method using the DNS server in ZS was that I’d have to add a domain for each of the many entries involved. Seemed like too much work.

My solution was to put all those entries into the hosts file on each computer on my LAN. To make that simpler to manage, at least for Macintosh and Unix computers, you can setup Dropbox and put the hosts file there then make a symbolic link from /etc/hosts to the copy in the Dropbox. The end result is when a new phishing site is identified, edit the hosts file in Dropbox to map the IP address to your server and all the Macs and *nix machines on your LAN will now use it. Not sure if its possible to do this same thing with a Windows computer but it might be.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.