Add tool: iftop

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Add tool: iftop

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  adrienlaurent 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

iftop is a small and very convenient network monitor that works like “top”.

With iftop you can quickly know which user is using all the bandwitdh:
    http://ex-parrot.com/pdw/iftop/

Thank you for adding it !

jt

That looks interesting.

zeroshell already has iptraf, which can display various network statistics. I connect via ssh and get a shell prompt, then enter ‘iptraf’

To store your iptraf config changes (until the next reboot), a directory needs to be created:

mkdir /var/local/iptraf

iptraf configs:
    I set the Update Interval to 1 second, otherwise running iptraf via ssh, it generates a lot of IP traffic on the ssh connection if it’s constantly updating the display.
    It can filter for just selected IP addresses. Then the Detailed display will be fairly short. It does remember the filters, so turn them back off when you are done. I rarely use the filters.

I use these iptraf displays:

Detailed interface statistics — select the internet ETH interface. I see kbits/sec counts, updated every 5 seconds.

IP traffic monitor — select the internet ETH interface. I see bytes and packets for all the internet connections. Sort by largest byte count to see the big users.

General interface statistics — to see activity counts on all the ETH interfaces.

Statistical breakdowns… by port number. To see what port numbers are in use.

Hi JT,

I was not familiar with iptraf, it’s very good.

However I still think iftop is a nice addtion because it allows to identify quickly which user is sucking all the bandwidth (which I have found harder to discover with iptraf). Each socket are displayed individually not summed per local ip.

Regards,

Adrien

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.