Accounting on Zeroshell

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Accounting on Zeroshell

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  webwarrior 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

webwarrior

I am not sure how long it is going to be before this kick in.

I may be able to develop something that can similate this and monitor the time spend on the connection, using cgi scripting, Javascript, and XML.

I will not be able to log the bandwidth taken up at this stage.

What I will try and achive, is to allow a certain amount of time, like 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours or 1 day, to cut the connection off untill it gets reactivated again.

This will help motel / hotel scenarios.

Anybody interested?

markham

Very interested. I would also like to have the ability to click a button and have a automatically generated user name and password that will timeout and be removed from the system after a specified time. That way a technically limited front desk person can click for a new user name and password then click a print button and hand a user limited time access.

An another note. Do you know how to hack the system to remove the need to use ssl? I edited the apache config file and got rid of the rewrite to 443 but of course that goes away after reboot and does not fix the authentication using ssl.

ESTIMULO

YESSS, I am very interesed in that.
    Thanks and sorry my english.

webwarrior

Where did you edit the apache confic file?

Do you have a hard drive install?

One suggestion I have, is to create 31 accounts, one for each day of the month.

Every morning the login page will be regenerated with the hardcoded username, and you cannot edit that field. You have to supply the password, and then log in.

Set the system to reboot every night, and then the next day’s hardcoded page will be recreated with that day’s username.

This will simulate accounting. The frequency of the rebooot could also be every 6 houurs if needs be.

There must be a simple way to do this.

webwarrior

markham, you still around.

This idea seemed to have died 🙁

mlapeyre

Dear friends,

I´ve been working towards control the time spend by an user in a connection and also to give end user some time feedback.

It is a little difficult to explain easily how I have accomplished this ( I expect to explain soon ), but in short words:

The Authenticator window sends periodically a https request. In Zeroshell, a script is launched every each time and update the access time of a predefined file.

There´s a script that runs continuously and check every 1 – 5 minutes whether the access time of that file was updated;if not,calls a script that ends the connection.

So, what I have done is:

1. Modify the Add User page in order to add the Connection Time field and, when submitted, calls a shell script of my own, and then calls the original kerbynet cgi script.

2. My script creates a cron job ( first I had to install the cron and crontab binaries in zeroshell ) that will launch another script when the connection should time out.

3. This script will create a flag file

4. Then I modified the authenticator page, so each time is called, checks for this flag file; if it exists, close the connection.

Besides this, I have modified other scripts and created some new for tracking connections for accounting.
    I have also modified the authenticator script in order to give the end user time feedback.

This is a very brief description of what I have done up to date, meanwhile Fulvio give us a more ideal solution to our requeriments.

Thanks again Fulvio for this great code!

Manuel

bram

Sorry for picking up an old thread, but I was searching for an accounting solution in ZeroShell… and your approach, mlapeyre, looks promising to start with.

Did you create an update of some kind for it? Is your code and changes integrated in a previous update?
    How could I try this on our testing machine, to see if it fits our needs for now?

Thanks in advance, hope you read this 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.