- This topic is empty.
April 13, 2010 at 5:53 pm #42349SAngeliMember
I have a CISCO router where I created a VLAN for the Access Point service.
I now have one Ethernet port available to manage this service.
I have to understand what to utilize for providing people Wi-Fi Internet connection to allow them to browse the Internet and chech e-mail.
First I was thinking of using a product like the Zyxel Hotspot Gateway (
http://us.zyxel.com/Products/details.aspx?PC1IndexFlag=PDCA2008115&CategoryGroupNo=4E14C850-478D-4204-8C85-2994C9552426 ) but do not want to spend over $700 for this.
I noticed that ZeroShell could be the perfect solution.
I was planning on utilizing one of my old PC, purchase a compatible Network Interface for Wi-Fi and install ZeroShell.
I have though few questions I wish to ask.
1) Is it OK from the Hardware standpoint getting, even for testing to see if it works, my old PC, purchase a compatible Network Interface for Wi-Fi and install ZeroShell?
2) How would I manage issuing of UserID and Passwrod and their management?
3) When they connect to the Internet they should only get a webpage where they must enter a valid UserName and Password.
Can someone who perhaps has already done it please advice me?
Thank you so much,
SpiroApril 13, 2010 at 6:16 pm #50123ppaliasMember
1) Yes you can try it. Most ethernet cards will work. Regarding wireless cards look for cards supported by Madwifi driver, e.g Atheros.
2) As far as I know you create users on the ZS itself or enable AAA on a remote radius.
3) This is called captive portal, search the forum and ZS site for its capabilities.April 17, 2010 at 9:08 am #50124SAngeliMember
The projerct involves wireless connection (Wi-fi) and cabled connection to the Internet.
What if I would place where I need wireless connection an Access Point device, something like this:
– Linksys Access Point ( http://www.linksysbycisco.com/IT/it/products/WAP54G )
Cabled Ethernet plugs instead directly to a switch.
The I have a PC with two NICs and ZeroShell installed..
I will then redirect all ports to this PC and have ZeroShell Manage all.
Could it work this way?
SpiroApril 17, 2010 at 8:14 pm #50125ppaliasMember
Yes it sounds as a viable setup. ZS can handle both the wired and wireless clients even with the Access Point that you suggest.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.