Reply To: Transparent Proxy DNS error

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Transparent Proxy DNS error Reply To: Transparent Proxy DNS error

iulyb

@ixalthim wrote:

Are you accessing your server by DNS or by IP? I managed to get ZS to use my DNS (at least temporarily), but it still didn’t work. I have no idea where to go from here.

Works on both cases. I use ZS’s DNS.
On DNS I setup an SOA for home.domain.com then I added corresponded A records.

nas 192.168.5.55
pap 192.168.5.56
zs 192.168.5.5

Other thing to manage is to setup forwarders on the DNS. You can have 8.8.8.8, 4.4.4.4 as forwarders, but I would recommend to use the ones from your ISP.

Next is to test ZS. You loin into go on ZS and enter ns lookup, then type server then type zeroshell.org. You should see somenthing like this

>nslookup
> zeroshell.org
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: zeroshell.org
Address: 192.254.190.111

then your local record:

> nas.home.domain.com
Server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53
Name: nas.home.domain.com
Address: 192.168.5.55

Now, you need to make sure your computer use ZS dns. Easy way is use DHCP and in DHCP to have only one DNS pointing to your DNS router.

Now, on the routes part. The easy way is to go by interface. Go into the router section on ZS and check routing table. ZS usually does a good job here when there is only one IP range per interface but you said 5 IF and 17 LANs so you need to check carefully. Make sure every single subnet is tied to its interface.
You will have to ping from all directions, ex from a host on 10.1.1.1 to a host in 10.1.2.1 and so on..
You will need to add all this networks in DHCP.
Start with 3 networks and then grow.