Reply To: GENERICAL VOIP PROBLEM WITH NO ANSWER and NO SOLUTION

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell GENERICAL VOIP PROBLEM WITH NO ANSWER and NO SOLUTION Reply To: GENERICAL VOIP PROBLEM WITH NO ANSWER and NO SOLUTION

DrmCa
Participant

Got it, this is something to start with.

In more detail, I used to have PAP2T ATA that over almost 10 years lost registration every about 6 months give or take a couple months.
Once registration was lost, nothing at all would restore registration but a change in port number. If I changed port from 5060 to 5061 it would register and work fine for another 4-6 months.
Over those 10 years I changed ISP and VOIP providers but the issue was always there. The only constant was Zeroshell router, which I gradually upgraded from 1.0 to 3.5 and somewhere in the middle rebuilt profile from scratch a couple of times.
Now I have Grandstream HT702 ATA and it loses registration almost daily.
I tried a few things and ended up switching from UDP to TCP and suddenly it works fine. It still loses registration every once in a while, but now with TCP it automatically re-registers and every time it does, it uses a different random port number (as I can see from the VOIP provider control panel), ignoring the 5060 kind of port that it used with UDP.
It’s not that I am hard pressed to or eager to go back to UDP, just curious what could have caused this.