Reply To: Failover default ethernet->adsl to 3G dongle – exist. sys

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Failover default ethernet->adsl to 3G dongle – exist. sys Reply To: Failover default ethernet->adsl to 3G dongle – exist. sys

atheling

A ITX PC should work fine. The ones I looked at don’t have enough network ports to make a great router but it sounds like you only really need two ethernet ports and something to plug your 3G modem into.

I am using a couple of Soekris Net5501 boxes, one for ZeroShell and one for AstLinux.

http://soekris.com/products/net5501.html

In both cases I am using Compact Flash (CF) cards for the “mass storage” device.

The fit for the Soekris Net5501 is actually a bit better for the AstLinux as that distribution is much better about minimizing writes to disk so the CF cards don’t get worn out. ZS insists on logging lots of stuff to disk which means I accept having to replace the CF card as a regular item. So far I’ve had to do that once in three years.

Current versions of AstLinux have firewall and routing capability in addition to telephony. And there is an Asterisk package available for ZeroShell. So in theory I could eliminate one of the two boxes, but so far I see no reason to. ZS is easy to manage as a firewall and router while the older version of AstLinux I have is hard to manage as a firewall and router but easy (for Asterisk) to manage as a phone system.