Reply To: CPU load maxed out, why is this happening? Netbalancer

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell CPU load maxed out, why is this happening? Netbalancer Reply To: CPU load maxed out, why is this happening? Netbalancer

@atheling wrote:

I haven’t run things under ESXi so I don’t know what sort of overhead that adds.

Zeroshell is basically just a GUI front end that configures a pretty basic Linux system. And the network traffic management (routing, net balancing, etc.) is all done in the Linux kernel. From what I’ve read and experienced, Linux does a pretty efficient job of that. Not as good as high end routers with hardware acceleration of traffic classification and packet forwarding. But pretty good for a general purpose operating system.

You have faster Internet connections than I but I can achieve 25Mbps using a 500MHz Net5501. Not sure of the CPU load at that point because all my Internet provider claims is 20Mbps so I wasn’t looking for things that could be slowing down my connection.

How does ESXi deal with virtualized network interfaces? is there OS overhead there?

Yeah I would think most Linux based systems have little overhead, especially things like this, and extremely stable. My FreeNAS box has been trouble free for 2 years running and I stream bluray quality from the box to multiple systems at the same time. I only have also 1 NIC anyways on that machine.

So I think ESXi has some sort of major overhead in routing network packets or something? I really don’t know, I originally just wanted to install this right on the machine but I couldn’t get to work on the SSD but I may just install on the USB stick and run the DB off the SSD like before.