Reply To: Load balancing question – d/l caps at way less than 2x speed

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Load balancing question – d/l caps at way less than 2x speed Reply To: Load balancing question – d/l caps at way less than 2x speed

atheling

Actually I expect that based on how IP level load balancing works.

Basically the first step in the routing decision is to lookup the route in a cache. So once a routing decision has been made for packets from your ZS box to the destination IP address all subsequent datagrams with that destination IP address will go the same way. Until, of course, the routing cache is cleared.

This means that you don’t get any benefit by starting multiple streams for downloading files as all datagrams (and thus TCP/IP connections) will use the same gateway.

But it also means that you can use HTTPS to communicate with a secure web site. Typically the server will detect a problem if different requests from the same user session come from different IP addresses and kick you off.

The routing cache is cleared based on arcane logic that I haven’t been able to fully characterize. Failure of an interface will clear it. As will changing the routing rules (but not the iptable rules). And it will age out old entries based on cache size and time. That later one is the one I haven’t figured out yet.

If you control both ends of your gateway links then you could use link bonding to get your desired effect as that load balancing takes place at a lower place in the network stack and only one gateway is presented to the IP layer.