Reply To: How To rebuild kernel 2.6.36.3 into b14 document

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell How To rebuild kernel 2.6.36.3 into b14 document Reply To: How To rebuild kernel 2.6.36.3 into b14 document

hlm

rda that is just outstanding work. A true masterpiece! Congratulations and thank you for putting this together.

I’ve noticed that step 5 is missing the untar of static-lib.tar.bz2. Without the files in that archive, the kernel compilation fails on Step 6 at the ‘make menuconfig’ command. I did not capture the exact error message but it complains about a missing libc_nonshared.a file. Untaring the static-lib file along with the other ones in step 5 fixes that problem.

Now, I’m stuck in step 7. Iptables won’t compile with the following error message:

root@zeroshell iptables-1.4.10> gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.1/specs
Configured with: ../gcc-3.3.1/configure --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-languages=c,c++
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3.1
root@zeroshell iptables-1.4.10> make
make all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/DB/hdb/iptables-1.4.10'
Making all in extensions
make[2]: Entering directory `/DB/hdb/iptables-1.4.10/extensions'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/DB/hdb/iptables-1.4.10/extensions'
Making all in include
make[2]: Entering directory `/DB/hdb/iptables-1.4.10/include'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/DB/hdb/iptables-1.4.10/include'
make[2]: Entering directory `/DB/hdb/iptables-1.4.10'
/bin/sh ./libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE=1 -D_LARGE_FILES -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REENTRANT -Wall -Waggregate-return -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wredundant-decls -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes -Winline -pipe -DXTABLES_LIBDIR="/usr/local/libexec/xtables" -DXTABLES_INTERNAL -I./include -I./include -I /lib/modules/2.6.36.3/build/include -DIPTABLES_MULTI -g -O2 -rdynamic -o iptables-multi iptables_multi-iptables-multi.o iptables_multi-iptables-save.o iptables_multi-iptables-restore.o iptables_multi-iptables-xml.o iptables_multi-iptables-standalone.o iptables_multi-iptables.o iptables_multi-xshared.o libiptc/libip4tc.la extensions/libext4.a libxtables.la -lm
libtool: link: gcc -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE=1 -D_LARGE_FILES -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_REENTRANT -Wall -Waggregate-return -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wredundant-decls -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes -Winline -pipe -DXTABLES_LIBDIR="/usr/local/libexec/xtables" -DXTABLES_INTERNAL -I./include -I./include -I /lib/modules/2.6.36.3/build/include -DIPTABLES_MULTI -g -O2 -rdynamic -o .libs/iptables-multi iptables_multi-iptables-multi.o iptables_multi-iptables-save.o iptables_multi-iptables-restore.o iptables_multi-iptables-xml.o iptables_multi-iptables-standalone.o iptables_multi-iptables.o iptables_multi-xshared.o libiptc/.libs/libip4tc.so extensions/libext4.a ./.libs/libxtables.so -lm
./.libs/libxtables.so: undefined reference to `_dl_open'
./.libs/libxtables.so: undefined reference to `_dl_catch_error'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [iptables-multi] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/DB/hdb/iptables-1.4.10'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/DB/hdb/iptables-1.4.10'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I’ve seen this error in the past and even though I don’t exactly remember what I did to get past it, I remember it had something to do with libdl.so (googling also shows some indications libdl may be the cause)… So, I tried changing symlinks and files around /usr/lib and /lib for libdl.so (as shown in the end of Step 5) and running ldconfig to recreate the library cache, all without success. Does anyone have any hints or clues for what could be wrong and what can be done to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Helio