Reply To: Multiple gateways.

atheling

@houkouonchi wrote:

I am not exactly sure how to do a drawing but here is an actual example situation.

Say you have:

ETH00:
IP: 1.1.1.20/24

and:

ETH01:
IP: 1.1.1.21/24

Both of these interfaces use the gateway 1.1.1.1. What I am confused about is how would you setup the netbalancer to do this as it ignores setting the interface when you set an IP. IE: the entry would be the same for both so how would it know what interface to send the traffic to?

Also what if you don’t necessarily want load balancing but just have two connections (not balanced). I don’t see anywhere you can do this on zeroshell as I don’t see anywhere to set gateway IP addresses other than the net balancer (there is no option to do this in the network setup). You can only set the default GW but what about gateways that you don’t want as the default IE: it only to work when a program binds to that specific IP on that interface?

From a networking point of view, it is unusual to have multiple discrete interfaces on the same subnet like that. If they are on the same subnet then the router (on any machine, not just ZS) doesn’t have a good way to determine which interface to use.

If more than one interface is on the same subnet I would expect them to be for performance (load balancing) or reliability reasons (failover). The way that is typically done is to set up the bonding interface which has a bunch of options on how to handle the failover detection and load balance. Then the IP level routing only deals with interface presented by the bonding driver. I have done this on other Linux boxes but not on Zeroshell. I do see a “new bond” button on the network setup page, so I guess that is where I’d start.