Reply To: Need hardware-recommendations

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Need hardware-recommendations Reply To: Need hardware-recommendations

jt

I got a pair of 1u servers similar to this:
http://www.abmx.com/1u-short-depth-server

Dual core, 2gb, sata drive, 4 ethernet ports.

‘free’ shows that zeroshell only uses 470mb. I have 1606064 free. So the 2gb memory wasn’t needed. I think that zeroshell is limited to 512mb memory (unless there’s some setting I don’t know about)

I have zeroshell installed on the hard drive, and had some trouble getting it to boot at first. I set the sata drive to be an IDE drive on cable number 2, and it works fine. ( I don’t think the hard drive is used during normal operation, just at boot time and to save the profile / database entries)

I don’t do any L7 filtering or clamAV, but I do forward between three different subnets and the internet for about 70 users. My uptime or vmstat always shows 100% idle.

So this configuration is really much more than I needed. I just ran iptraf and saw 250 packets/sec on our LAN, with half the users already gone home. The load average is still 0.00 0.00 0.00 in ‘uptime’.

We have two identical U1 servers, since the company completely depends on this router to forward between our wired vlans, not just for internet access. Having spare hardware will save us downtime if one zeroshell stops working. I really like having a second machine for testing configuration changes and upgrading the zeroshell version, since upgrading is very similar to a re-install.