Reply To: Zeroshell running on Via Eden FX5621 with Agere 10/100/1000

Home Page Forums Network Management Embedded Devices Zeroshell running on Via Eden FX5621 with Agere 10/100/1000 Reply To: Zeroshell running on Via Eden FX5621 with Agere 10/100/1000

aknopak

Hi,

I am uploading the image to an ftp server, I’ll PM you the URL. The image is ~454MB (bzip2).

If you look at the pre-boot script you’ll see how it works, I guess that’s the main trick, apart from creating the extra space on the flash. The pre-boot script replaces links to the read-only system in the ramdisk filesystem with links to the new writeable system dirs.

After creating a writeable copy of the system on the new partition, I installed gcc, binutils and glibc. Next I connected a 2G USB drive to the appliance, mounted it, and copied the linux and et131x driver sources to it. Note that you need 1 GB at the very minimum, the sources are huge! At this point I was able to compile the et131x module and add it to the system (the USB stick is no longer needed, only when compiling new stuff).

About the stability of the hard- and software, that’s interesting. I haven’t used the Zeroshell for anything serious yet, I haven’t noticed any issues uploading files to the box over the gigabit interface.

One issue I did find is that the driver doesn’t properly report the linkstate. It will say ‘linkstate unknown’, whether the link is up or down. Since the failover features use reachability information and not link state per se, it’s not necessarily a show-stopper, but it isn’t very nice either.

Let me know how you get on with the image,

Regards, Anne