Reply To: LAN-to-LAN (site-to-site) VPN with tun device

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell LAN-to-LAN (site-to-site) VPN with tun device Reply To: LAN-to-LAN (site-to-site) VPN with tun device

cyboc

@fulvio wrote:

What you quoted from the OpenVPN documentation is valid only if you use TAP interfaces in bridge mode.

Ah, thank for clearing that up. I thought TAP did not allow routed mode but I stand corrected, as indicated by this quote from the OpenVPN FAQ:

When you are bridging, you must always use –dev tap on both ends of the connection. If you are routing you can use either –dev tap or –dev tun, but you must use the same on both ends of the connection. –dev tun tends to be slightly more efficient for the routing case.

Now I just need to figure out how to implement that solution. All of the examples I have seen so far are either routed TUN or bridged TAP. I’ll give it a try and report my experience back here.

Regardless, is there any good reason why Zeroshell can’t give you the option of using TUN device for LAN-to-LAN? Are there plans to implement this?