Reply To: traffic optimization and compression and acceleration

Home Page Forums Network Management Request a new feature traffic optimization and compression and acceleration Reply To: traffic optimization and compression and acceleration

atheling

@Alan Ting wrote:

ZS really nice but
I hope zeroshell will have wan accelerator feature on future release also…

Thanks in advance.

It kind of, sort of, has it now: You will need something at the other end that can deal with the compression/decompression (which is what the “accelerator” is).

Turns out the OpenVPN that is in Zeroshell has compression enabled. So it can act as an accelerator while it is giving you an encrypted link. Your mileage may vary, of course, depending on your environment.

The Internet link where I work is only a T1 (1.5 Mbps) using Tunnelblick (packaged version of OpenVPN for Macintosh) to link into Zeroshell on my home network I get between 2 and 2.5Mbps. So I am getting some acceleration over the physical link speed using the VPN.

When I VPN into work from home using the Cisco Anyconnect client I get slightly better results in the same general speed range. So I think that the Cisco VPN is doing basically the same thing as OpenVPN on compression. My guess is the slight difference in speed is due to the Cisco VPN using UDP rather than TCP as Zeroshell configures OpenVPN.

(Don’t get me started on how the Cisco loads their TUN kernel extension at system start making it difficult for other TUN based programs like OpenVPN to co-exist.)