Reply To: Linux QOS is not efficient enough for VoIP over shared WANs

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Linux QOS is not efficient enough for VoIP over shared WANs Reply To: Linux QOS is not efficient enough for VoIP over shared WANs

olivier1010

I know quite well Openwrt, and DD-WRT. The last one do not have a perfect stability, is not as polyvalent, but the GUI is better.

The first one do have a good stability, but does exhibit ping latence rising after some days of use.

Kamikaze, the next openwrt version, should be better, but is still beta, bugged, and miss some usefull libraries, like ncurses, so that we can’t use MTR or similar tools on it. It does not support broadcom wifi on the 2.6 kernel neither.

I’m almost sure that the linksys do not have a hardware level 3 wired router in it. According to my knowledge, only the integrated level 2 switch is fully hardware.

When you need to route with Openwrt and linksys hardware, the level2 traffic is going to the 200 Mhz risk processor for serial processing through vlan traffic inside a shared 100 Mbps link to the 5 ports switches.

Zeroshell does the same function, but do have a really better interface, is easy to install and use a more standard Linux environement. It does not have the shared 100 Mbps limitation : you can use 1 Gbps network cards, and each card has full bandwith.

More, it will run on normal PCs; using 2 Ghz or more processors, lot of memory…

To get the level of performance you are talking about, you need to use Cisco or Juniper like products, with DSPs inside. This is not the same price… And not really easy to use.