Reply To: Strange WPA Enterprise issue

Home Page Forums Network Management ZeroShell Strange WPA Enterprise issue Reply To: Strange WPA Enterprise issue

ptaylor

Well, we figured the problem out. I wish I could say it was some obscure setting on the AP, or a problem with the test client machines, but it was actually really not that hard…

Network Operations is evaluating a product called “Air Defense”, which they thought was running in a passive mode, only listening and reporting on things it heard, like an IDS. But, today we discovered that the Air Defense sensors were actually taking action to terminate the connections of these “rogue” Access Points… Turn off the nearby Air Defense sensor, and suddenly the wireless connections on our test units were rock solid using WPA Enterprise security. The fact is, the area we were testing my home configuration didn’t have a sensor nearby, so it worked great. So, I changed the IP addressing to match our production environment and moved the equipment to where it would actually operate, the sensor would see our “unauthorized traffic” and knock us off every time.