Reply To: Installation on a net4801

Home Page Forums Network Management Embedded Devices Installation on a net4801 Reply To: Installation on a net4801

ptaylor

One little detail can cause hours of frustration…

One needs a Null Modem adapter, which I didn’t have, to see the console on these… Now that I have that, I think I see where my problem is.

The net4801 I wanted to try out had an Intel 1000 GT card in it. By looking at the output of ifconfig, I can see that this was the adapter it had selected to be ETH00. The problem was that it didn’t appear to be seeing any traffic. (No packets were incrementing, even though I was continuously pinging it.) When I moved the CAT5 cable to the other ports, I could see that the packets were incrementing, so I can only guess that ZeroShell doesn’t support that card yet, fully.

No problem, I figured.. I just removed the Intel NIC and rebooted. This time, it completed booting, but my pings still failed. Now, an ifconfig command shows only ETH01, 02, and 03. No ETH00.. Then, I remembered reading about a feature that remembers what hardware was used for a particular interface, I believe.. So, I’m re-writing the image now and should have my Soekris up and running instead of a VM soon.