www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

Extra Bond Weight "0" Option

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> Request a new feature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnW

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Extra Bond Weight "0" Option Reply with quote

I've been using Zeroshell site-to-site VPN to bridge into a datacentre from home.

I started with just a 5Mb ADSL line which was fine, no speed issues pushing everything over a VPN.

I installed 1.5Km of fibre and power up the hill to a radio and added a wireless link to a new 65Mb VDSL line a few Km away. I found I was only able to get between 10-30Mb over the VPN. No problem if I just went out direct.

After a bit of troubleshooting (I blamed XenServer for a long time), it turned out the ISP was throttling VPN connections, I just never noticed it before on my 5Mb line.

I tried all sorts of stuff to hide the VPN traffic, but eventually realised found I could get around the throttling by creating 5 identical VPN connections (on different ports) and adding them all to the bond.

The only problem I have now, is that I would like the old 5Mb to be in the bond as a failover ONLY.
I have a weighted Load Balance + Failover setup with the VPN on 5Mb line weighted at 1 and the 5 VPNs on my 65Mb line weighted at 200.

What I would like to be able to do is set a weight of "0", so the interface is not normally used, just as a failover.
iulyb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I was looking at this, the problem is the current implementation.
Instead of having a general mode switch Fail-over / Load balancing we should have 2 pools, one for Load balancing and one for fail-over.
All interfaces registered in Load balancing pool will act as a fail-over but the ones in fail-over will be enabled only after everything else fails. Weight could act as priority on fail-over. This would make sense especially if traffic on one interface is expensive.

Unfortunately I do not use a setup this complicated, I have only a fail-over on LTE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> Request a new feature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: